Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Vertigo and its treatment - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   breakup crystals in the eustachion tube to relieve very bad vertigo ?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Crystals in the inner ear tubes cause vertigo
Doctor :   Any block in the eustachion tube causes ear pain & infection & rarely vertigo
User :   what machine or massage will help settle or get rid of these crystals ?
Doctor :   You mean from the eustachion tube?
User :   yes
Doctor :   Any block in the eustachion tube can be relieved by valsalva maneuver
Doctor :   or simply opening & closing the mouth/jaw
Doctor :   There are sophisticated machines available with the ENT spacialists
User :   just what is the valsalva I need a specialist ?
Doctor :   which can suck contents from any body cavity
Doctor :   Take a deep breathe & try to expell it with the mouth & nostrils closed
Doctor :   such that pressure is created in the eustachion tube, which relieves its block
User :   I am 88, and have had this condition a long time. I have an ENT who can do this
Doctor :   If you are 88, then I guess you have crystals in the tubes in the inner ear, not the eustachion tube
User :   valsalva maneuver. Is it just one visit, or do I need to go several times for the machine
Doctor :   a condition called Meniers disease
User :   What is the machine's name ?
Doctor :   Am I right?
Doctor :   Then valsalva wont work for such conditions, neither will the machines
User :   Please tell me WHAT will work ? My vertigo has suddenly worsened, and I am
User :   walking with a walker to maintain balance .?
Doctor :   Please let me know the diagnosis the ENT specialist has made?
User :   My session ended with the ENT sending me to a physical therapist.
User :   Is that all I can hope for...again ?
Doctor :   No, there are drugs which can reduce your symptoms
Doctor :   but I guess as per protocol
Doctor :   the ENT specialist has withheld using them right away
Doctor :   to try the effectiveness of the procedure he is currently subjecting you to
Doctor :   Once you have undergone this
User :   I only drug I am now taking is hydrochlorot ,50mgs. For about a month now.But it really hasn't helped .
Doctor :   he will put you on those medicines
Doctor :   OK
Doctor :   Tell the same to him, he will change it
Doctor :   or increase the dose
Doctor :   if possible
Doctor :   Have you reduced salt intake?
User :   yes, the average male intakes 3,000 mgs daily. I am at 1.200 mgs and trying to reduce
User :   that amount, too.
Doctor :   Are you avoiding high-salt (sodium) foods?
User :   Is there no physical maneuver, by machine or manipulation that will help?
Doctor :   Yes there is, but it is cumbersome & done only at the hospital by the specialist himself or a therapist
Doctor :   There are also surgical procedures
Doctor :   which will be offered if the other treatments fail
User :   Thank you. I know there is no easy way out of this vertigo.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me. Bye for now. Please refer your friends to our service.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor