Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Vaginal infection caused by fungus candida - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3617 Questions
User :   Hi i have apparently got thrush which never goes away.
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :  
User :   I have taken all sorts of medication but nothing seems to work
Doctor :  
since when are you having this thrush?
User :   its been one and half years now
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
what medications have you taken and for what duration?
User :   I can't remember all the names but i have had the canestan pessaries both cream and tablets, I've had metradyzone or something wth a similar name, fluconazole
Doctor :   are you on any medication now?
Doctor :   please describe the extent and apearance of the thrush that you are having.
Doctor :  
which part is the most affected?
User :   yeh the last time i went to the doctor..he told me to have flucanozle tablet, once a week for two weeks
Doctor :  
User :   it basically has a smell to it
User :   it used to get inflamed when i used to itch it but i dont anymore because it makes it worse
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
which part is the most affected? please describe the extent and appearance of the thrush that you are having.

User :   so the itching is mainly inside the vagina and the top bits by the clitorus etc..
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :  
is there any white discharge?
User :   yes
Doctor :  
are you sexually active?
User :   can be a bit yellowy as well
User :   no
Doctor :  
does the discharge smell bad? is there itching associated when discharge is more?
User :   yeh it smells..yes i think its more itchy with more discharge
Doctor :   do you use tampons during you periods?
User :   but it also itches and sometimes burns at different times
Doctor :   Thrush is actually an infection of the mouth caused by the candida fungus, also known as yeast.
User :   no i use sanitory towels
Doctor :   it can occur in other parts of body as weel like vagina
Doctor :  
and in infants diaper rash
User :   yeehp
Doctor :  
Small amounts of this candida fungus are present in the mouth, digestive tract, and skin of most healthy people
Doctor :   they are normally kept in check by other bacteria and microorganisms in the body.
Doctor :   However, certain illnesses, stress, or medications
User :   thing is if these medications are not working
Doctor :   can disturb the delicate balance, causing the fungus candida to grow out of control, causing infection
User :   do you think its worth seeing a gyna
Doctor :   yes it would be worth seeing a gyne doc
User :   ive read about it on the internet
Doctor :  
for examination and to see th eextent of it
Doctor :  
a culture sensitivity can be done by taing a vaginal smear
Doctor :  
and check for which antifungal to use for maximum eradication
User :   what wold a gyna do that doctors cant
User :   is the smear test the one that is usually done if you have had sex?
Doctor :  
also checking for certain medical illneses like diabetes, cancer will help
Doctor :  
which gyne can take smear from there and do
Doctor :  
and a smear is not necesarily taken when you have had sex
Doctor :  
it can be taken if there is any active infection
User :   becase i know the doctor has taken swabs
Doctor :  
like in your case
Doctor :  
was the swab taken from outside the vagina or high up from near the cervix?
User :   I've had some take from the outside but some from high up too..i don't know if it was near the cervix
Doctor :   ok
User :   but i know they didn't do the other one ..when i told them i havent had sex
User :   i think its the three tube one
User :   or something
Doctor :  
what i suggest you is to see a gyne , and to see if there is only fungal infection or is it a amix of fungal and bacterial infection
Doctor :  
and do a repeat test done of the discharge
Doctor :   to see what the causative agent is
Doctor :   so even after treatment of acute infection if you get repeated episodes then you should consider taking regular antifungal treatment
Doctor :   and make sure that you eat healthy and take multivitamin suppliments to improve your immunity
Doctor :   to prevent further repetition of the thrush infection
Doctor :  
have you followed what i have said?
User :   ok yes..also is there a way of say scraping a way all the bad bacteria under a microscope or something
User :   like is that possible in the hospitals
Doctor :  
that you can discuss with the gyne doctor whom you will see, who will decide and tell you what to do depending on the extent of the infection
Doctor :  
the important thing here is to eliminate the candida fungus
Doctor :  
using suitable antifungals
Doctor :  
and making sure that they dont re-infect you
User :   okay and also the thing is i live in the UK..and i need to be referred to a gyna first
Doctor :  
User :   they say that the gyna wiill do the same job they are doing
Doctor :  
you can go back to your primary physician and request for a gyne referal
Doctor :  
since they have failed to help you, you should go for a Gynecological check-up
User :   ok do you recommend i go with private care
Doctor :   private care wil cost you more i believe, but if the primary physician is unwiling to refer you to gyne doc, and you do need a referal,so you can do this as a last option
Doctor :  
instaed of suffering and living with the thrush
Doctor :   Is there any thing else I can help you with?
User :   yeehp thats all.
User :   Thank you
Doctor :  
Please fill the feedback form, and comment box, and say done when done.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic. Bye for now. Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries. Please refer your friends to our service.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor