Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

VDRL test negative, symptoms present for STD - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User :   hi
my VDRL test came non reactive please suggest should i go for hiv test as i had symptoms of hiv like red spots and sore throat and mild fever with body ache
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Iam
Doctor :   ok
User :   hi doctor
Doctor :   when was your exposure?
Doctor :   May i know your age?
User :   i have sore throat for the past 5 days and body pain
Doctor :   rapid hiv tests are done at 2 months ,4 months and 6 months of exposure

User :   red spots on my hands and legs
Doctor :   to detect any hiv antibody
Doctor :   they are almost 995 sensitive
Doctor :   sorry 99%
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   did you have any recent intercourse?
User :   ok my question is shouls i go for hiv test tomorrow
Doctor :   when was you exposure?
Doctor :   it is most use ful when done at 6 months
User :   exposure to ?
Doctor :   as the sensitivity is maximum then
Doctor :   to unsafe sex
Doctor :   why do you suspect hiv?

User :   i had protected sex with one prostetute two weeks ago
Doctor :   The VDRL test is a screening test for syphilissyphilis. It measures substances, called antibodies, that can be produced in response to Treponema pallidum, the bacteria that causes syphilis.
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   Four rapid HIV tests have been approved
User :   i that of shall i have the test by tomorrow
User :   for hiv
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   from where are you doing that
User :   pune
Doctor :   ok
User :   the thing is the condom slips while having the sex
Doctor :   Most people develop detectable HIV antibodies within 6 to 12 weeks of infection.
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   so it was slighlty unsafe
User :   but the condom end at my penis end was covered
Doctor :   that alone is not protective
Doctor :   if you had her fluid contact
User :   my sperm gone out
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   the rapid test can produce results within 20 minutes.
Doctor :   Rapid tests can use either a blood sample or oral fluids.
Doctor :   They are easy to use and do not require laboratory facilities or highly trained staff.
User :   so shall i go agead for hiv rapid test by tomorrow
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   but if sensitivity is less
User :   what i have to tell to doctor i require a rapid test for hiv
Doctor :   since antibodies take 6-12 weeks to form fully
Doctor :   you may explain the exposure
Doctor :   and say that condom slipped
Doctor :   and you had contact with her fluids
User :   ok i have sore throat and red spots and body weekness
Doctor :   A PCR test (Polymerase Chain Reaction test) can detect the genetic material of HIV rather than the antibodies to the virus, and so can identify HIV in the blood within two or three weeks of infection.
Doctor :   it can come due to infection from any bacterias like syphilis
Doctor :   gonorrhoea etc
Doctor :   you may do an VDRL test too
User :   but vdrl says non reactive
Doctor :   ok
User :   i already done that
Doctor :   A negative test is normal and means that no antibodies to syphilis have been detected.
Doctor :   A positive test result may mean you have syphilis. If the test is positive, the next step is to confirm the results with an FTA-ABS test, which is a more specific syphilis test.
Doctor :   The VDRL test's ability to detect syphilis depends on the stage of the disease. The test's sensitivity to detect syphilis nears 100% during the middle stages; it is less sensitive during the earlier and later stages.
Doctor :   so you may do an repeat test after 2 weeks
User :   i have non reactive in VDRL test
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   but to make sure your repeat it
User :   ok i will repeat that also
Doctor :   since it can be negative in early periods
Doctor :   only the rapid hiv test at 6 months is 99% sensitive
User :   please advice me shall i go agead with HIV pcr TEST
Doctor :   yes you should do pcr first
Doctor :   as
Doctor :   can identify HIV in the blood within two or three weeks of infection
User :   ok doctor
Doctor :   they are very expensive and more complicated to administer
User :   how much will it cost
User :   approx
Doctor :   were r u from
User :   i am from chennai
Doctor :   5000
User :   but i will be in pune tomorrow as i am living there
User :   ok no problem i will check with doctor tomorrow
Doctor :   ok do it from there
Doctor :   you can contact thyrocare
User :   could you please suggest where i could test the pcr test in pune
Doctor :   thyrocare
Doctor :   wait a min
User :   if any phone numbers
Doctor :   WWW.WWWW.WW Doctor :   Doctor :   0000
Doctor :        0000
Doctor :   Doctor :   hope you got it
User :   thanks
Doctor :   thanks for consulting..
Doctor :   bye for now...
User :   and could you please suggest that i should visit doctor befor the test
Doctor :   no need
User :   or directly i could contact them
User :   i could go to hadapsar test center
User :   it is near to me
Doctor :   ok do that now
Doctor :   dont worry
User :   please tell condom slips causes hiv
Doctor :   yes some cahnce
User :   it si not slips fully
Doctor :   since fluid contact will be there
User :   my sperm only came out from the side of condom
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   did you get contact with her fluids

Doctor :   Thanks fro consulting...
Doctor :   Bye for now...
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor