Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Usage advice of Bactroban for skin irritation in genitals - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Women's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   Gynecology/Dermetology/Women's XXXXXXXX Question
It seems as if I have an irritation on the sides of my vagina walls. It's on each side going down in like straight lines on the outter side of the walls. It almost looks like like my pores are popping out a little (if I had to describe what it looks like). It's very itchy. The itchiness started at random here and there a couple months ago so I would use hot compresses and occassional cortizone creme, but now I notice the bumps. I can't say that I haven't scratched it and made it slightly more irritating. There is no abnormal discharge or odor. I use hypoallergenic soaps and detergents due to my existing eczema (on my hands), I am very careful with my skin as it is. I recently moved so there was a climate change, not sure if that has anything to do with it. In addition to that, after the move, other skin irritation problems happened. My nipple had a little discharge and was irritating and I had a rash under my boobs, so he prescribed me Bactroban for that. It seems to be getting better. Can I use Bactroban for my symptoms? What would you recommend? I need help, it's pretty itchy and uncomfortable. Any ideas? I ultimately feel like it's some kind of skin irritation, inflamation, or something like that.
Doctor :   Hi,
Doctor :   Dr xxx here
Doctor :   please give me a couple of minutes to read your post
User :   Hello Dr xxx. I tried to give you some history about my skin, hopefully it helps. Okay thank you.
Doctor :   yes, i have gone through
Doctor :   quite a good history
User :   I have a history of skin irritations. I developed this when I was 12 or so. Allergies and so forth. I am now 31. When I was 24 I also had pitoriasis rosia. I just always have skin problems.
Doctor :   ok, at first i advise you to stop using cortisone cream
User :   ok
Doctor :   it tends to decrease the local immunity of the genitals
User :   I did it like 3 or 4 times, just so you know
Doctor :   have you tried any antiallergic for the vaginal itching?
User :   this did start back in August, but it wasn't as frequent. Now the itchiness just won't go away, it's continuous
User :   no i have not
User :   and i haven't recently used the cortisone
User :   but i have tried hot compresses
Doctor :   since you say you have history of allergies , i do consider the same cause being for the itching in the vagina,
Doctor :   Are your menstrual cycles regular ?
User :   yes
User :   i do not have any children
Doctor :   When in the cycle is the itching more ?
User :   and i have been with the same partner for 12 years, we are exclusive
User :   not that i have noticed, i am in between periods right now and it seems to be the worst actually
User :   any ideas on what is safe to use?
Doctor :   ok, sometimes due to decreased imbalance in the hormonal levels dryness of the vagina can be presented with itching
User :   i would need something that would relieve the itching but in addition make the irritation and inflamation go away,
User :   i have bumps
User :   its wierd
Doctor :   Are the bumps in groups ?
User :   its like a row
User :   going down the outside of the wall
Doctor :   is there redness surrounding them ?
User :   starting from the top, going to the bottom
User :   not really redness
Doctor :   are the lesions filled with any fluid or pus ?
User :   my boyfriend said it looks like my pores, like whiteheads
User :   its wierd
User :   i know there are always little bump looking things there but now they are bigger
User :   no fluid or puss
Doctor :   ok, i suggest you to get a tab of LEVOCET 5mg once in night for three days which will decrease the itching , meanwhile get examined by a gynecologist and get a pap smear test done
User :   i was hoping you could recommend a cream to cure the problem
Doctor :   the pap smear might help in arriving a specific diagnosis
User :   i already have vistaril for itching
Doctor :   i can come out with differential diagnosis of Warts, allergy and herpes
Doctor :   the confirmation of one amongst needs the test to be done
Doctor :   which will help in placing you on specific treatment
User :   I shouldn't have done this chat. No offense. I should have just gone straight to a doctor. I am uninsured and cannot afford all of these expenses to find a treatment.
Doctor :   not jus play blindly on it , it may worsen the condition
User :   I should have gone to urgent care.
User :   I am soo sorry for not being satisfied with our conversation
Doctor :   I am sorry, prescribing medicine of H group is an offence
Doctor :   witout examination
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor