Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Urine infection, urine test shows elevated sugar level. What can be done? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 19-Mar-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User:Good afternoon
User:got a query for my wife
User:she is around 41 yrs
Doctor:welcome to XXXXXXX ,. please proceed with your query
User:recently she had some urine infection,
User:hence we got a urine test done....where it also showed the sugar level as ++
User:we were then advised by our family doc to do a sugar test
User:blood sugar test
Doctor:were any blood tests done , blood sugar fasting ?
User:the readings were Pre fasting - 242.4
User:and PP was 274.6
User:i understand that this is really high
User:the family doc prescribed tablet - Glynose ( Glipizide) 5 mg
Doctor:YES, it is very high, and could be a indicator of diabetes
User:1 tab in afternoon and half at night
Doctor:was any other test, like HBA1C done ?
User:we propose to re do a test after a week
User:to make sure
User:wanted your suggestion
User:firstly is the medicine prescribed ok?
Doctor:HBA1C is a test, to check the level of glycemic control , in the body . it gives a level of blood sugar over the past 3 months
Doctor:yes, your doctor has started her proper medications to reduce the blood sugar, and treat diabetes
User:also she does feel very weak
User:and heaviness in the head
Doctor:has this started recently ?
User:sometimes she is not sure , but feels 'uneasiness in the head
Doctor:ofter taking the medications ?
User:the high sugar was detected only recently
Doctor:after ** ?
User:and she has just started taking the medicines
Doctor:no, i mean the symptoms ?
User:the symtpons were there quite some time ago
Doctor:does she have them since long ? any other issues like increased urination at night , feeling thirsty, ?
User:urge to urinate was only recently ... but now ok
User:she did complaint of feeling thirstly
User:and at time uneasy breathing
User:like breathlessness
Doctor:those symptoms are due to diabetes related
User:what other tests would you recommend
Doctor:with time and proper treatment her symptoms will come down
User:we plan to do some comprehensive tests in the near furture
Doctor:if not done already, a urinalysis , and urine protein estimation, examination of the eyes, kidney and liver functions can be done along with the HBA1C TEST
Doctor:urine microalbumin levels , also can be done
Doctor:these urine tests, help to detect early changes and extent of involvement of the kidneys
User:thank you Dr XXXXX
User:any particular diet - though i guess sweet things should be avoided
Doctor:yes, she will have to follow a low carb diet and a low fat diet
Doctor:regular exercises will also be needed
Doctor:exercises will help to improve insulin secretion , and reduce glucosse levels
User:she has begun to walk for around 10 mins
Doctor:ask her to increase it to 30 mins daily
Doctor:10 mins is not enough
Doctor:reduce eating too much of rice and starchy foods like potatos
User:any more suggestions?
Doctor:she can consult a dietician, who can give her a good diet plan for her diabetes
Doctor:i shall ask the customer care to contact you for that
User:yeah thanks
Doctor:can i have ur no and email id
User:0000 / YYYY@YYYY
Doctor:i have intimated the Customer care
Doctor:they will contact u soon
User:ok thanks
Doctor:in addition, she should continue to take the medications prescribed for a long time
Doctor:regular blood checks, at least 2-3 times a month initially to check for proper control is adviced
Doctor:she can also invest in a good glucometer, to check the blood sugar at home
Doctor:also make sure that her BP is within normal
User:can you suggest some good brand names?
Doctor:Omron blood pressure monitor and One touch ultra sugar instrument
Doctor:you can check them online at WWW.WWWW.WW which give good discounts
User:that should be helpful - tks
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor