Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Ureteral stone,hydronephrosis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Kidney Conditions
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   I would like to talk to urologist
User :   hello
Doctor :   Hi
User :   any body can help me
Doctor :   Iam.Dr....
User :   ok
User :   actually I have stone in ureter
Doctor :   iam an general practitioner
Doctor :   I will try to help you with in my knowledge
User :   but my left kidney is with hydronephrosys
Doctor :   and can help you to get specialist opinion from our urologist
Doctor :   via email or phone
User :   ok
User :   my doctor is telling me to go for urgent surgery
Doctor :   hydronephrosis is little bit worrying
User :   can u help me in this regard how to proceed
Doctor :   since it means swelling in kidney
Doctor :   and the reduction in size of real kidney
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   May i know your age and gender?
Doctor :   are you diabetic?
User :   can i wait for soem time and do some home remedy or dont waste time
User :   male 32
Doctor :   Since when you have renal stones?
User :   no dibetic
User :   6 months
Doctor :   ok
User :   now its almost bottom position
Doctor :   are you taking enough water?
User :   pelvic bone
Doctor :   do you have swelling?
User :   yes
User :   swelling where
Doctor :   Most kidney stones eventually pass through the urinary tract on their own within 48 hours, with ample fluid intake
Doctor :   There are several factors which influence the ability to pass a stone
User :   my stone almost 10mm
Doctor :   A 4 mm stone has an 80% chance of passage while a 5 mm stone has a 20% chance. Stones larger than 9 mm-10 mm rarely pass without specific treatment.
User :   can i pass by my own
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   no
User :   then what treatment
Doctor :   For kidney stones that do not pass on their own, a procedure called lithotripsy is often used.
Doctor :   In this procedure, shock waves are used to break up a large stone into smaller pieces that can then pass through the urinary system.
User :   doctor suggested laser lithotripsy
Doctor :   Surgical techniques have also been developed to remove kidney stones when other treatment methods are not effective.
Doctor :   ok that is very good
Doctor :   and is not invasive
User :   is it safe
Doctor :   This may be done through a small incision in the skin (percutaneous nephrolithotomy) or through an instrument known as an ureteroscope passed through the urethra and bladder up into the ureter.
Doctor :   yes
User :   what will be anesthesia
User :   i mean local or
Doctor :   Prevention is always the preferable way to treat kidney stones. R
User :   but now what to do
Doctor :   not local anesthesia
User :   then
Doctor :   it depends on the size and function of your kidney
User :   totally asleep
User :   actually I am tensioning very much
Doctor :   what?
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   dont worry at all
Doctor :   since this disease is very very common
User :   surgery will be painfull?
Doctor :   and treatment is very safe and secure
Doctor :   no
Doctor :   ]since anesthesia is used
Doctor :   mostly gen anesthesia
User :   this laser will not affect any other body part inside?
Doctor :   If the stone is not located in a place where lithotripsy can work or if there is a need to relieve the obstruction emergently (an example would include the presence of an infection), the urologist may perform ureteroscopy,
Doctor :   not at all
Doctor :   since it is designed so
User :   gen anesthesia means my whole body will be in anesthesia during operation
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   Since most patients have two kidneys, a temporary obstruction of one is not of great significance
User :   but I have hydronephrosis, what is this
Doctor :   nfection associated with an obstructing stone is another emergent situation.
Doctor :   it is swelling of kidney
User :   its dangerous
Doctor :   Hydronephrosis is a condition in which the kidney swells, due to a backup of urine.
Doctor :   Hydronephrosis generally occurs with another disease such as acute or chronic unilateral obstructive uropathy, vesicoureteric reflux, kidney stones, and during pregnancy.
User :   swelling will come down after stone removal
Doctor :   Symptoms of hydronephrosis include nausea, vomiting, urinary tract infection, fever, painful urination, increased urinary frequency and urgency, flank pain, and swelling of the abdomen.
Doctor :   yes sure
User :   according to you, I should go ahead for the surgery
User :   immediately
Doctor :   The goal of treatment for hydronephrosis is to restart the free flow of urine from the kidney and decrease the swelling and pressure that builds up and decreases kidney function.
Doctor :   yes as per your surgeon advise
User :   ok
User :   thanks, I think I am convinced
Doctor :   OK
Doctor :   is there anything else i can help with you now?
User :   but i dont have any problem
Doctor :   THANKS FOR CONSULTING........
User :   no pain
Doctor :   oK
User :   ok bye
Doctor :   Bye for now...........
User :   ok
Doctor :   Take care.................
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor