Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Unusual palpitations - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Good Posted in: Anxiety and Stress
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
User :   What is an unusual amount of heart palpitations?? Ever time after I drink or smoke ciggs they usually come later that night and they are really messing with my mind, I think I am very sick and I go into panic attacks. I do have a history with GAD so needless to say my stress levels are never the best. If I were to go into the Emergency room could they run tests right away to see if I have any heart problems? Thank you for you help.
27 years old 6'3 265
Doctor :   hi
User :   Hello
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here. Let me read what you have typed
User :   Okay
User :   They usually come the next night...
User :   In waves
Doctor :   the palpitations that you get could be either due to the anxiety or the effect of nicotine and alcohol
Doctor :   if you go to ER, request them to do an ECG
Doctor :   it will confirm if they are abnormal
Doctor :   and related to cardiac in origin
Doctor :   reduce your smoking and alcohol use and see if you feel better
Doctor :   are you on any medications at present?
User :   Could it be an early on set sign of heart disease?
User :   no
Doctor :   it could only be said after doing relevant investigations like ECG and ECHO while you have the palpitations.
User :   So, should I go into the ER? I mean, it's been like this for at least a year now...
Doctor :   ok. have you had any check done in this one year?
User :   No...I told my Doctor about it, and he told me to go see a cardiologist. And I never ended up going
Doctor :   you should see a cardiologist for the palpitations as it is chronic, and get investigations done for finding out the cause
Doctor :   and start with treatment if indicated
Doctor :   if you have chest discomfort, breathing trouble, sweating and chest pain radiating to jaw or shoulders, then you should to to ER
Doctor :   if these associated symptoms are not there, then fix appointment with cardiologist at the earliest and get a thorough check done.
User :   chest, where would these pains be and how would I be able to know if it isn't just gas.
Doctor :   chest pain of cardiac origin would be in center of chest or more towards left and radiate to jaw or shoulder and arms
Doctor :   sometimes it can also mimic a gastric pain
Doctor :   related to gas
User :   okay
User :   I mean, if I were to go into the Hospital right now, could they do everything there right now?
Doctor :   they will first examine you and then decide if it is needed. to be on safer side you can request them to take a cardiologist opinion and get the suggested test done
User :   I am just worried that my heart is going to stop or something, I get them when I take large sips of water too.
User :   I just don't get it
Doctor :   the detailed examination and the investigations will help you find the answer to your questions
Doctor :   schedule your visit to cardiologist soon as advised by your doctor
User :   I have a PPO I can just go in...
Doctor :   ok.
Doctor :   then get it done at the earliest may be today or tomorrow.
User :   Yes, I know. I just almost don't want to know.
User :   Thank you for your help
Doctor :   is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   I guess that will do it..
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me. bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor