Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Uncontrolled passing of urine - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
User :   My 68 year old mother has frequent uncontrollable passage of urine after her surgery for Hernia several years ago
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   Dr AAAAAAA here.
User :   hello Dr. AAAAAAA
User :   I am XX
Doctor :   is the uncontrolled passing of urine associated with stress, meaning to say with increase in abdominal pressure due to cough etc?
User :   No quite normal
User :   not associated with cough
Doctor :   ok, since when she is having this problem? did it start immediately after the surgery?
User :   this difficult to say exactly bacause
User :   she had her uterus removal surgery long back - almost 15 years back
User :   then two surgeries for hernia
Doctor :   ok. and since when she faced with the uncontrolled urination problem?
Doctor :   there are two types of incontinence that women face
User :   but she has this for some five years minimum
User :   yes
Doctor :   one is associated with stress and is called stress incontinence which is normal in women over 50 years of age due to lax pelvic floor muscles and lack of sphincter control
User :   ok
Doctor :   another type is due to damage to nerves supplying sphincter muscles due to pelvic or inguinal surgery
User :   oh
User :   treatment?
User :   One more thing
Doctor :   yes please proceed.
Doctor :   treatment lies in detecting the cause for it and correcting it
User :   she would feel the sensation and would rush towards the toilet but then cant prevent it before reaches.
User :   also i feel it is the second type
User :   is there some tests to find out the cause?
Doctor :   this is suggestive of the probable lack of sphincter control
Doctor :   she can go ahead with evaluation and further investigations done to come to the exact cause
User :   yes - second type
Doctor :   this should be done by a UROLOGIST
User :   ok
User :   would it be just medicines or some thing else?
Doctor :   it depends on the cause, if it is lack of sphincter control, she might need corrective surgery as indicated by the test results
Doctor :   along with medications and pelvic floor exercises
User :   she is slightly fat and movement is slightly difficult since she also has joint pains (arthritis related) in waist - so exercise is difficult
Doctor :   it does not involve whole body exercises, it is only to help tighten the pelvic floor muscles which can be done while standing or sitting
Doctor :   they are called as Kegel's exercises
User :   ok
User :   but this would after treatment
Doctor :   yes.
Doctor :   WWW.WWWW.WW Doctor :   WWW.WWWW.WW
Doctor :   these will help you understand better
Doctor :   visit them when you have free time
User :   will do
Doctor :   WWW.WWWW.WW User :   and lastly
Doctor :   this will help you to understand what could be wrong with her
Doctor :   sure please proceed
User :   It can be healed, right?
User :   or it depends?
Doctor :   it depends on the cause behind the problem
Doctor :   if it is due to nerve damage, then it is difficult to treat
User :   because she has other problems as well
Doctor :   is there anything else I can help you with?
User :   no thanks
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me. bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor