Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

UTI and delayed periods - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Dr XXX here
Doctor :   How can i help you?
User :   hi
User :   My periods is late by 22 days
User :   i took pregnancy test but it was negative
User :   can u pls suggest me the y it got delayed
Doctor :   Did you have unprotected intercourse? Are your periods regular? Also may i know your age?
User :   yes
User :   i was married 10 months before . I was getting 5 days delayed for past 2 months
Doctor :   Did you take any emergency pill after that?
User :   this month totally 22 days delayed
User :   i had a Urinial infection last month
User :   wat u mean by emergency pills?
User :   my age is 26
Doctor :   I mean after unprotected intercourse did you take any medication like i pill? Is your UTI treated now?
User :   yes.
User :   I dint take any pills after unprotected intercourse and i was treated for my UTI
Doctor :   When did you have your last periods? When did you take the pregnancy test?
User :   July 31. 2 days before
User :   i took the test
Doctor :   Urine pregnancy test are not 100% reliable. You can go for BLOOd HCG test which is a confirmatory test.
User :   oh k. UTI may affect the my periods?
Doctor :   Do you take any contraceptive pill or any other medication regularly?
User :   nope
User :   i m really unaware y i got a urinal infection this month?
Doctor :   UTI usually does not affect the periods.If blood test is also negative then you will have to go for a complete examination as there are many other causes of missing periods as Hormonal imbalance, Cysts, Fibroid(tumour)
User :   actually some days before
User :   i went to a doctor for general consulting for pre pregnancy kind of to a gyna
Doctor :   UTI can be due to various bacteria and is very common in women.
User :   She said like my hair growth in my body is high so c asked me to take scan of my uterous, thyroid and all
User :   but atlast everything was fine.
Doctor :   Since you are having irregular periods you can go for Hormonal tests like LH, FSH and prolactin to see if those levels are normal or not.
Doctor :   Was the USG scan of pelvis done?
User :   i m looking for a baby since 6-7 months but it doesnt click, i m really unware
User :   USG??
Doctor :   You need to get a proper evaluation done to see the cause.
Doctor :   Ultrasound
User :   No, scanned the uterus
User :   for checking any cysts
Doctor :   You also need to have Hysterosalpingrophy ( to see the tubes by injecting a dye) if they are fine.
Doctor :   Ok then that is fine
User :   wat u mean by to see the tubes by injecting a dye?
Doctor :   I will also advise you to get your Husband's Semen Analysis and sperm count done.
User :   oh kk,.. but this time my periods were missed for long time ..
User :   can i expect a positive pregnancy
User :   ??
Doctor :   It means investigation in which dye is injected to see the function of fallopian tubes.
User :   oh kk
Doctor :   It depends on the result of HCG test.
User :   i mean there is any feasibilty?
User :   i m very thin (height :170cms and weight:53kg)
Doctor :   It can be.
User :   can i predict with any symtoms?
User :   i have pain in pelvic for the past 2 to 3 days?
Doctor :   Symptoms usually do not show up so early, also avoid having any stress as it may cause delay in periods
User :   and saliva gets produced more
User :   pain in pelvic that too when my urinary bladder gets filled.
Doctor :   Pelvis pain can be a sign of infection also as sometimes prolonged UTI can lead to pelvis infection
Doctor :   Get a proper examination and investigations done by a gynaec as sometimes infections like Endometriosis also cause delayed periods and pain.
User :   oh .. pelvis adn UTI will affect becoming pregnant
User :   k k..
Doctor :   Yes it can affect
User :   Any suggestion ??
Doctor :   1)Get a proper examination and investigation done.
Doctor :   2(Drink lots of water.
Doctor :   3)Have a proper balanced diet
Doctor :   4)Do regular exercises.
User :   already done with the examination like bloodtest, thyroid, thoro scan
User :   do i still need to do all again?
Doctor :   I suggested you to go for Hormonal tests and Hysterosalpingrophy. Also Pap smear can be done in which examination of the vaginal fluid is done.
Doctor :   When were the last tests done?
User :   oh kk.. these test are for ??
User :   2 to 3 months before
Doctor :   I have already explained you that hormonal tests for hormonal levels and Hysterosalpingrophy to see the function of tests.
Doctor :   *Function of tubes
User :   k
Doctor :   Also pap smear to see of there is any infection in the uterus and surrounding area.
User :   ok ..
User :   thank you
Doctor :   Is there anything else you would like to know?
User :   just i m worried only abt my pregnancy now
Doctor :   Get the tests done so that treatment can be started accordingly
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor