Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Tubes and discharge from ear - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 676 Questions
User :   my son had tubes put in his ears January 7th 2011 and tonight there is a slimy liquid discharge coming out of the one ear should i take him to ER or is this normal??
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hello
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   May I ask you a few more questions pertaining to your problem before I can Help you better ?
User :   yes sorry
Doctor :   May I know the exact surgery that your baby underwent , and what is the age of the baby boy?
User :   my son is two years old, the surgery was the insert of tubes
Doctor :   Ok,Was it a surgery for the middle ear or the eusctachian tubes ?
Doctor :   Was he completely or partially deaf pri?
User :   it was to help with ear infections,
User :   i forget what it was called exactly
Doctor :   prior to the suregry or was it to prevent ear infection s?
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   prevent infections
Doctor :   Is he having any pain ?
User :   not complaining about any...
Doctor :   Is it in both the ears ?
User :   discharge only coming out of one ear, but surgery on both...
Doctor :   Is he having any nasal infectons, any cold, cough ?
User :   no not recently, a little bit of a runny nose but nothing else
Doctor :   what is teh nature of the dischareg, is it mucus, pus, color is green/yellow/white ?
Doctor :   is it having any foul smell?
User :   it is clear, kind of looks like snot
User :   no smell
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   I would suggest that he has no obvious infection of the ear cavity, but once you have a fluid draining out, it indicates that the middle ear has opened up and the tympaninc membrane has ruptured and hence he has to be immediately treated.
Doctor :   This is not normal.
User :   so should i contact the specialist that did the surgery
Doctor :   He has to be again seen by an ENT.
Doctor :   Yes, he would be the right person to get an appointment with and seek his intervention.
User :   should he be okay for the night, or should i go to ER
Doctor :   Before that please give him a hot water sponging on his external ear for the night if he has any pain.
User :   he has to wear plugs when in water, so will this work?
User :   not allowed to get water in ear
Doctor :   Please use tab.tylenol thrice per day. 250mg.
Doctor :   Yes, please dont allow the water to get into his ears, pleae use cotton or other ear plugs.
Doctor :   this is just externally without water entering the ear, to releive of any pain or discomfort if any.
User :   okay thank you
User :   i will make sure to contact the specialist in the morning if you dont mind me asking what is the name of your practice and where is it located
Doctor :   Thank you for consulting me.Take care, Bye for now.
Doctor :   I am a general physician
User :   okay thanks
User :   take care, bye for now
Doctor :   Bye.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor