Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Treatment options other than surgery to cure fissures - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Digestion and Bowels
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   Hello Doctor,My wife has fissure and doctor has suggested surgery. Is there any medicine which can cure fissure without surgery, actually I want to avoid surgery.
Doctor :   hi
User :   Hello Doctor...
Doctor :   Dr. XXXXXXXX here.
Doctor :   is your wife on any medications now?
Doctor :   what symptoms is she having at present?
User :   She bleeds during toilet...
User :   Actually her stool is not getting soften..
Doctor :   although there are theories and medications that are claimed to heal fissure in ano
Doctor :   but the preferred option and long term cure is achieved via doing surgery.
Doctor :   as there are failures with pharmacological treatment
User :   she has gone through colonoscopy as well and everything was normal...
Doctor :   if the problem is acute, then conservative treatment with medications can be tried
User :   like sir...
Doctor :   but if the problem is chronic, then surgery is a better option
User :   can ayurveda be tried...
Doctor :   I practice allopathic medicine, so I would not be able to comment on efficacy of other streams of medicine
User :   what are the chances of reoccurance after surgery?
Doctor :   Ayuveda and homeopathy treatments claim to cure them, but efficacy is still under question with recurrence of symptoms and requirement of surgical treatment
Doctor :   after surgery, the recurrence is very low
Doctor :   with almost 97-98% cure rates
User :   ohh..
User :   Sir, can you please suggest any generic medicine to soften the stool?
Doctor :   the surgery should be followed up with a good and high fibre diet to aid in softening the stools and leading to prevention
User :   Sir, can you please suggest any generic medicine to soften the stool?
Doctor :   the treatment of constipation is two fold-1) stool softeners , 2) diet with high fibre
Doctor :   WWW.WWWW.WW Doctor :   you can go through this link to learn more about them
User :   we are trying both sir but has not been 100% effective...
Doctor :   excessive use can lead to complications.
Doctor :   and if the stool softeners and diet modifications do not help
Doctor :   then surgery is the last option to get done to have relief
Doctor :   you can opt for a second opinion regarding this
User :   Can she continue with Yoga, sir?
Doctor :   with our panel specialists- gastroenterologists
User :   Can you please suggest any doctor name sir?
User :   in XXX
Doctor :   YOga can aid in controlling the symptoms, but it again cannot give 10% cure
Doctor :   *100% cure
User :   Can you please suggest any good doctor name sir in XXX?
Doctor :   you can visit this link to have a list of gastroenterologists in XXX
Doctor :   WWW.WWWW.WW User :   Thank you very much doctor!!
Doctor :   the folowing link is to get a second opinion from our panel gastroenterologist if you would like to go for it
Doctor :   WWW.WWWW.WW Doctor :   is there anything else i can help you with?
User :   That's it for now sir. Thank you very much!
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me. Bye for now.
Doctor :   Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries.
Doctor :   Please refer your friends to our service.
User :   Sure. Thanks Sir.
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor