Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Treatment for swelling in the arm due to fracture - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   My son fell from height today at school from the monkey bars in the playground after school. He is 5 and said that he twisted it as he landed with his body on top. He was in pain at the time and is now settled with Children's Ibuprofen oral suspension (7.5mL) and has been sitting with an ice pack on it. When we ask him how it feels he says "it hurts a lot when i twist it around" (from palm down to palm up). He is totally reluctant to demonstrate this and cries out in pain when we try to move it to palm up - I can get it to about a half turn before he stops us. There is some mild swelling compared to the other arm, particularly around the wrist area. My question is should we take him to a hospital tonight for a check up or wait and see how he is in the morning?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   let me read your query
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   may i know whats the time there ?
User :   It is 6.55pm
Doctor :   i guess the pain and swelling in your son could be due to a fracture
Doctor :   so it would be best if u can take him to the ER for an Xray so that a cast can be placed in necessary
Doctor :   * if necessary
Doctor :   application of ice packs will reduce the swelling and pain
User :   Ok. We thought as much. We just wanted to check if there would be more symptoms. He actually just fell over or it again and is crying. We'll take him now. Thank you.
Doctor :   that will be perfect
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me here
Doctor :   bye for now
Doctor :   hope everything will be fine and he recovers well
Doctor :   bye
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor