Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Treatment for pain in foot - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
User :   I have had pain in my right foot forabout 1 year. It started after I drove a tractor for 8 hours. Now I have pain on the top center of my foot that occures off and on. When the pain occures I have noticed that there is a large bump on top of the foot that feels very boney
Doctor :   hello
Doctor :   i am Dr Oberoi here
User :   Hello
Doctor :   may i know your age and gender please ?
User :   34 male
Doctor :   Did you sought any medical treatment for it before ?
User :   not as of yet
Doctor :   so its just on one foot ?
User :   yes the right foot
Doctor :   is the pain localized or does it radiates any where ?
User :   localized to the top center but only when I bend my toes up as in walking
Doctor :   so you can illicit the pain by bending your toes ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   and the bump you are talking about, can you feel it all the time or its only when you have pain?
User :   there is a bump there all the time now but increases with the pain
Doctor :   does your work involves long standing ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   Do you have any other medical condition ?
User :   no
Doctor :   alright .
Doctor :   well from the history you have told me
Doctor :   there are few possibilities that can present with these symptoms
User :   ok
Doctor :   have you had any loss of sensation over the area ?

User :   no
Doctor :   ok now the two most common cause for a foot pain with your history

Doctor :   can be a calcified cartilage . that is due to the long standing hours some times the cartilage in the foot gets calcified
Doctor :   causing the pain you are talking about
Doctor :   the next cause can be what we call is a bone spur
User :   I was thinking bone spur
Doctor :   A bone spur forms as the body tries to repair itself by building extra bone. It generally forms in response to pressure, rubbing, or stress that continues over a long period of time.
Doctor :   now the next step for you would be to get an x ray done
Doctor :   till then i will suggest you to wear shoes with soft soles
User :   Will soft inserts work ok
Doctor :   yes that will work too
Doctor :   also you can take some over the counter medications to relief the pain
Doctor :   IBUPROFEN 400 MG
Doctor :   twice a day
User :   ok
Doctor :   a massage every night can also be helpful
User :   ok
Doctor :   but i will still recommend you to get a x ray done so that we can get to know the extent of it
User :   ok
Doctor :   majority of times they them selves get treated
User : surgery needed for a bone spur
Doctor :   depends on the extent and also if any nerve is getting pinched
Doctor :   but its rare
User :   ok good
Doctor :   x ray will give us a good picture
User :   ok
Doctor :   is there anything i can help you with ?
User :   no..thank you
Doctor :   your most welcome
Doctor :   take care
Doctor :   good bye
User :   good bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor