Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Treatment for obstructive jaundice with diabetes - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   This is about my father who is 80 and has a history of over 26 years of diabetes - and insulin dependent for past 11 years. He has been recently diagnosed as having "obstructive jaundice" - the CE CT report talks of the presence of a lesion in the right biliary duct and confirms cirrhosis of the liver.
What treatment would you suggest? Would you recommend a curative approach or a conservative, palliative management?
Doctor :   hi
Doctor :   Dr xxx here
Doctor :   i am going through ur history
User :   Thanks Dr xxxx
Doctor :   give me a minute
User :   Sure doctor
Doctor :   at the age of 80 yrs, and with having so much of issues like diabetes and cirrhosis, the chances of complete recovery would be less
Doctor :   and aggressive treatment , with modalities, like surgery can cause more health issues than give him cure
User :   So, what is your view on controlling jaundice?
User :   As part of conservation, palliative approach
Doctor :   can u specify, what lesion has been found on the USG
User :   Hold on pls
Doctor :   SO as to know, whats the diagnosis for obstructive jaundice?
User :   The CT report at the end says " Impression: Hilar cholangiocarcinoma
User :   Cirrhosis with portal hypertension'
Doctor :   this i guess, is cancer in the bile ducts
User :   Periportal Lymphadenopathy - metastatic?
Doctor :   which is in stage 3 ,
User :   yes that is what they tell us...and so like u they tell us that surgery is unadvisable given his age and condition
Doctor :   there is no point of surgery at this stage (for cure)
Doctor :   but to relieve the jaundice, they can probably try to place a metalic stent in the gall bladder, which can relieve the obstruction
User :   How reliable is stent? Will it need frequent changing?
Doctor :   the procedure is one time
Doctor :   and can be a palliative step to relieve the jaundice
User :   Do u recommend...
Doctor :   but any procedure, may be minimal invasive, can cause furthter spread of the cancer and lodge it into further sites
User : u recommend stent by endoscopic method or percutaneous method
Doctor :   at this age, even minimal surgey, like stent placement, would depend on the physical examination assessed by seeing the patient
Doctor :   percutaneous route - is the best according to me
User :   In Chennai..which is the place u recommend for percutaneous procedure?
Doctor :   doing a endoscopy can increase the morbidity
Doctor :   give me a minute
Doctor :   Kkr cancer hospital oncology
User :   any doctor's name? i understand they will need support of a good interventional radiologist
Doctor :   CALL at 044 1111111111111
User :   is that the number of kkr cancer hosp?
Doctor :   this is the no of KKR hospital
Doctor :   you can get additional info from this no
Doctor :   give me a minute, so that i get some additional info
User :   Thank you doctor..may ia sk u another question?
Doctor :   sure
User :   Are you a GP, a surgeon or oncologist..or?
Doctor :   I have experiece in oncology for 5 years as a senior resident
User :   Thanks..much, is there any additional info from you?
Doctor :   the other place in chennai is
User :   What about MIOT hospital? Have you heard of them
Doctor :   CHECK this link for more info
Doctor :   MIOT is also a good hospital
User :   OK..sure..thanks..
User :   anything else for now doc?
Doctor :   check out for the experience of the doctors in appolo, and you will gain info , about further treatment
Doctor :   also, you can visit the websites of these hospitals,
Doctor :   and get additional info
User :   Thanks Doc..much appreciate...have a good evening
Doctor :   i hope, the pain for your father reduces, with proper treatment
Doctor :   take care and bye for now
User :   Bye Doc
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor