Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Treatment for non goncoccal urethritis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Men's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   Hi there, I had an initial set of symptoms consistent with an STI (pain when urinating, dull ache in testicles) but tested negative for all STI's (had 2 rounds of urine tests (mid and early stream), blood test, swabs etc). These symptoms subsided but the pain when urinating has returned to a lesser extent (particularly after alcohol). This has also been accompanied by a chronic cough (coughing up thick mucus), which I have had for 8-10 weeks now, constant fatigue, and blood in stool (for about 3 weeks). My GP prescribed anti-biotics for the chest infection, but they did not work. He said it was probably a virus and that I would get over it. That was 7 weeks ago. I am worried I might have a bacteria present such as Mycoplasma or Ureaplasma, even though I was tested for Mycoplasma. Any ideas what I should do next?
Doctor :   Hi,
User :   Hi
User :   Hello Dr
Doctor :   Let me read your post
User :   I should also add that I suspected NGU initially, because I had painful sexual intercourse with my wife before the symptoms started, where there was trauma to the foreskin and urethra area. I read that this can cause NGU symptoms...
Doctor :   May i know the color of the sputum you bring out ?
User :   Colour is Green
Doctor :   ok, and do you run high temperature ?
User :   I haven't taken temperature but I feel hot a lot of the time. Not burning but generally hot
Doctor :   ok, do you sweat during or after that febrile period ?
User :   what does febrile mean?
Doctor :   the hot feeling , rise in temperature in actual
User :   I sweat more than usual after any physical activity
User :   but no sweat if I am just sitting down or resting
User :   (I am 32, male, from New Zealand)
Doctor :   ok, is the pain during urination is pain in actual or its more of burning sensation ?
User :   is now quite mild. mild burning sensation. Comes and goes.
Doctor :   ok, here its not the same infection giving rise to chest and urine symptoms
Doctor :   i consider it to be a multi organism infection
User :   OK, what should I do next
Doctor :   i advice you to get a sputum and urine Culture and sensitivity test
Doctor :   it will give very detail insights into your problem
User :   OK, what is the test for? Because I have already had several rounds of tests on my urine
User :   All negative for STIs
Doctor :   here the sample is mixed with a suitable growth media ( nutritious material ) and allowed for growth of any infection suspected
User :   So this is a non-sexual infection?
User :   (testing for something other than sexual infection)
Doctor :   the growth will be subjected to various tests and the exact strain of the bacteria and the antibiotics its sensitive for can be determined
Doctor :   yes,
Doctor :   and not purely non sexual infections
Doctor :   organisms like ureaplasma , gonococci can also be isolated by this test
Doctor :   by this test the exact strain causing the symptoms and the sensitive treatment for it is made out
User :   OK, can tests be arranged by GP?
Doctor :   yes,
User :   Of the possible causes, what do you suspect?
Doctor :   Gonococcocal infection can be a chance where they can produce long term urethritis and pneumonitis
User :   Thankyou
Doctor :   you are welcome
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me
Doctor :   kindly provide your feedback
User :   Thanks.
Doctor :   Bye for now
Doctor :   Take care
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor