Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Treatment for lung infection - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hi Doc -
Doctor :   Dr XXX here
User :   I have had a history of some weird breathing problem and had a lost of complicated tests done - without finding anyhting
Doctor :   How can i help you?
User :   I just had a follow up CT scan done without contrast
Doctor :   May i know your age?
User :   I got the results here but cant get into my doc for a while...could I type the results here and have you explain?
User :   38
Doctor :   Please explain your symptoms in detail.
Doctor :   Yes you can.
Doctor :   You can also send the reports to YYYY@YYYY
User :   OK..I will type line by line..there is a lot to the end I will type end ok?
Doctor :   Then you can send the e mail and i will reply to it accordingly
User :   Findiongs: non contrast contiguous 5mm sections through the thorax presented in mediastinal and lung windows...fine 1.25mm sections at 10mm intervals through the lungs
User :   there are small subtle areas of increased interstatial markings in the subplueral regions of the right and left lower lobes posteriailly
Doctor :   Ok
User :   this is interspersed with areas of normal lung, not typical for gravity dependant changes and suggestive of local infiltrates
User :   the rest of the lung is clear no pulmonary mass, no bronchial dilation no plueral disease
Doctor :   Was the PFT test done?What were the results?
User :   no mediastinal or hilar abnormality no chest wall abnormality in the subdiagphragmatic region
User :   summary: sublte small areas of patchy infiultrates posterially in lower lobes?
User :   END
User :   what does all that mean LOL
Doctor :   Was the PFT test done?What were the results?
User :   what is PFT test?
User :   I have had spirometry
User :   this was a chest CT
User :   can you tell me what that report means?
Doctor :   The report is suggestive of 1)Tubercular changes 2)Interstitial changes 3)Post inflammatory changes This can be confirmed by some other tests like Pulmonary Function tests and sputum tests
User :   I have had PFT...and sputum but long time ago
Doctor :   When did you have these tests?
Doctor :   Are you having these symptoms since long?
User :   PFT about 6 months ago - when had difficulty breathing when at rest
Doctor :   What was the result?
User :   had problem breathing when at rest for 2 years..only when at rest
User :   it was odd result..had 2 PFT ..first one was normal, then they did stress excercise test and my PFT test doubled...IE I coyld breathe better after excercise
User :   basically its like my lungs seize up wehn they arent working hard
Doctor :   That indicates that it was positive.
User :   what was positive?
Doctor :   PFT test
User :   they told me that if i can run i cant have too much wrong with my lungs
User :   but its only when I sit down and stop...butr had chest pain recently and it hurts a little to breathe deep
User :   so they said do follow up CT - thre results I just showed you..i do have flu thing at the moment, is that what they found?
Doctor :   The report told by you of the CT indicates an infection and you need to get yourself examined by a Pulmonologist.
User :   is that the same as a respiratory surgeon?
Doctor :   You need prescription medications and also require some antibiotics to cure the infection
User :   so not lung cancer or anything like tuberculosis?
Doctor :   Yes he is similar to Respiratory Surgeon?
User :   just went ona month long course..that seemed to help but after stopping my chest hurt, almost like infection was gone and now some scarring
User :   so not lung cancer or TB - ionfection i can handle
Doctor :   Not lung cancer but suggestive of Tuberculosis like infection
User :   is that bad?
Doctor :   You have to take the medications very regularly and also sincerely.
User :   ok, thanks for your help?
Doctor :   No it can be cured if treatment is taken properly.
User :   how do they test for TB
User :   I have had sputum tests before
Doctor :   Get yourself examined by a Pulmonologist soon and start the treatment
User :   sweet..thanks mate
Doctor :   They will take the sputum for continuous 3 days
Doctor :   If required blood test may also be done
User :   yeh I did that..they were able to grow some bacteria..but only found simple flu...not sure if they checked for TB though
Doctor :   Also do not smoke and take alcohol during the treatment
Doctor :   Ok
User :   ok
Doctor :   It may worsen the symptom
User :   damn..I just stopped drinking for 6 months, and only just started I have to stop again..bugger
Doctor :   But you should not now
User : nothing to worry about..see pulmologist get on antibiotics and stay on em without drinking right
Doctor :   Yes follow the treatment regularly.
Doctor :   All the Best and Take care.
User :   just one thing..the fact that I did the CT today when i obviously have the flu..could that be all they are seeing on the CT
Doctor :   No the CT reports obviously suggest an infection which is spreading and needs treatment.
User :   ok cheers
User :   bye
Doctor :   Is there anything else you would like to know?
User :   all good thanks
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting, bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor