Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Treatment for lesions on the penis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Penis Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   hello, i have a question relating to stds. i am in XXXXXX and have been here now for about 4 months. i have a rash on the shaft of my penis and im scared its herpes. is it possible to just now start having outbreaks without having sex for that long?
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hello
Doctor :   May I know your age?
Doctor :   Since when have you noticed this rash?
User :   22
User :   it just started today
Doctor :   Do you have itching/pain/lesions?
Doctor :   Have you had similar symptoms in the past?
User :   ive really been freaking out, i researched all the possible symptoms and i had none of them except, some bumps that appear to be lesions.
User :   never had anything like this
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you have any other medical illness?
User :   nothing at all
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain it to you.
Doctor :   The symptoms of herpes can occur at any time, depending on the general health of the person.
Doctor :   It may take a few days to few weeks.
Doctor :   Since, I cannot perform a physical examination on this chat, i am unable to pinpoint to you the probable cause for your symptoms.
Doctor :   I would suggest you to get a physical examination by a doctor to determine the cause for these lesions.
Doctor :   Have you followed?
User :   yes
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   have you ever heard of anyone breaking out that long after wards? you said up to a few weeks, i havent had sex in about 4 months
User :   in your opinion does it sound like i have herpes?
Doctor :   The first outbreaks following sexual contact are usually symptoms of simple infections such as fever, headaches, lymphnode swelling and occasionally the rashes and blisters.
Doctor :   However the second and later outbreaks can occur any time.
User :   ive never had anything like this happen though
Doctor :   Ok
User :   how bad do the lymph nodes swell? do they swell noticeably?
Doctor :   Only when there is significant lymphnode swelling, you would notice it.
Doctor :   Else they can only be noticed by a clinician on physical examination.
Doctor :   Have you followed?
User :   when not noticeably swollen, is there pain or is it sensitive to the touch?
User :   yes i am following
Doctor :   Usually the later outbreaks cause pain , followed by blisters.
Doctor :   And yes, they would be sensitive to touch.
User :   ok, its not sensitive to the touch but when i apply pressure there is a slight pain to the upper left of the base.
Doctor :   The diagnosis can be best done by a physical examination.
Doctor :   Since, this is not possible on chat, I recommend you to consult your local doctor.
User :   i understand that. in your professional opinion based on the information i have given you, would you suggest that i did or did not have herpes?
Doctor :   Since this is the first episode of such lesions, there are remote chances that they may be herpes related lesions.
Doctor :   However, I still recommend you to get a physical examination.
User :   okay, thank you very much for your time.
User :   have a great night.
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor