Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Treatment for infectious mononucleosis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Infections
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
User :   three years ago my boyfriend and I came down with a debilitating flu-like illness (we do not live together and so believe the illness to be an infection) which we have been unable to get diagnosed. the predominant feature is severe headache and a shivery, flu-like feeling with fatigue, a sore throat and swollen glands and sore eyes. In addition I have an extreme thirst which fluctuates with my headache. The illness seems cyclical and just when we begin to feel better it all comes back. my thirst goes away when I am feeling better. we had tests for glandular fever which were negative. we are somewhat better but far from well. which other viruses should we consider getting tested for?
Doctor :   hello
User :   hello
Doctor :   give me a min please let me go thru your query
Doctor :   so this you had 3 years ago ?
Doctor :   what are your present symptoms ?
User :   yes, both of us have been ill for nearly 3 years now
Doctor :   so its been 3 years ?
Doctor :   what all tests have you both undergone ?
User :   present symptoms are headaches, thirst with frequent urination, sometime a flu-like feeling,and sore throat. we were both tested for glandular fever - negative. i have had a water deprivation test which was not within normal ranges but considered not diabetes.
Doctor :   you said the illness is cyclic ... how long does it lasts and when it comes back
User :   it varies - anything from 5 weeks to 6 months
Doctor :   urine test ?
Doctor :   CT ?
Doctor :   Complete blood profile ?
User :   i had a urine osmolality test - 330 after a 12 hour fast from water and the serum osmolality was 294 - i think. mri scan was normal. blood profile normal
Doctor :   i see
Doctor :   any specialist opinion ?
User :   no, he said i was not within normal ranges but he didn't know what was wrong - perhaps virus
Doctor :   it can be
Doctor :   there is one test that can help us to find out
Doctor :   and that would be a CSF analysis
User :   ok, what is that? a blood test?
Doctor :   its a test where spinal fluid is taken from your back with a needle
User :   i see. thank you doctor.
Doctor :   your most welcome
Doctor :   i am sure that will tell us more whats happening
User :   yes. i will look into that. thank you for your help
Doctor :   your welcome
Doctor :   take care
Doctor :   have a good one
Doctor :   good bye
User :   you too
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor