Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Treatment for chest and heart problem - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Congenital Heart Disease
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   Hey im a 17 year old boy and i got a large hole in my chest that im born with , i have searched a long time on youtube and founded some movies with nuss bar removal .. ehm i was vundering how do i get my hole away! .. im very sad about it and im never going to the beach because of it! :-/ .. what does it cost and is there some other ways to get away with it? ..
Doctor :   hello
User :   hello :)
Doctor :   Give me a min
User :   okay , ill wait :)
Doctor :   let re read your query
Doctor :   So at this moment tell me your symptoms
Doctor :   when you talk about hole in the chest ... can you explain me better ?
User :   there is no symptoms .. im born with a hole not to inside but just like a cave in my chest .. like my bones doesnt got the vitamin they needed :)
Doctor :   its not in your heart ?
User :   nono :) ..
Doctor :   so its a depression
Doctor :   in your chest
User :   no
User :   or
User :   i ont know
Doctor :   so its like sunken
User :   my chest bones arent like they should be , i like to workout but im thin because i got , year a sunken chest ...
Doctor :   ok i understood what you are telling me
Doctor :   this is a the most common type of congenital chest wall abnormality
Doctor :   let me tell you in detail what all options you have
User :   okay :)
Doctor :   to begin with did you get your tests done like Echocardiography
Doctor :   and Chest CT scanning
User :   no i have never got any tests :(
Doctor :   ok i will first advise you to just get the 2 test that i have told you
Doctor :   that will tell us the severity of the condition
Doctor :   now let me tell you what can be done to fix the condition
User :   okay :)
Doctor :   the onlyt way to get it fixed is via surgery
User :   i got a movie on youtube you can see its not about me but the same problem
User :   WWW.WWWW.WW Doctor :   the name of the procedure that is done is called as Ravitch operation
Doctor :   and this operation has demonstrated excellent results with low complication rates despite the fairly radical nature
User :   oh .. so i need surgery , i cant just workout and eat protein s:?
Doctor :   and the after surgery path to recovery is very good
Doctor :   you need to consult a cadio thoracic surgeon
Doctor :   no only surgery will fix it
Doctor :   the success rate is very high
Doctor :   i can understand your concern
Doctor :   only a surgeon can assess you and help you with the correct surgery
Doctor :   but as you had asked me in the beginning, well there in no other way to fix it.
Doctor :   i hope you understood what i have told you
User :   i understand , but how much does a surgery cost s:?
Doctor :   it basically depends on many factors and your post op care and the medical cost based on the specific hospital you go to so the cost can vary a lot. but the right way would be to just call up the hospital and they will tell you the approx cost charges based on their doctor
Doctor :   and their medical services
User :   i dont think they make surgerys like theese in denmark
Doctor :   like i have told you , it is the MOST COMMON congenital abnormality
User :   oh ..
Doctor :   so i am very sure in a place like Denmark it would be done
User :   okay , well thank you alot! .. it was nice to write with a doctor :) !
Doctor :   All you need is to make a phone call and they will tell you, also usually surgery is mostly kept for those who have lots of symptoms
Doctor :   But you can always discuss with the surgeon
Doctor :   i am glad i was able to help you
Doctor :   thank you for consulting me
Doctor :   you take care of your self
User :   thank you:) .. bye ..
Doctor :   Bye
Question is related to
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor