Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Treatment for alpha 1 (zz) - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Asthma and Allergy
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 675 Questions
User :   Hi, I have alpha 1 ( ZZ ). I work outdoors walking 5 hours a day. I am very fatigued after and breath in exhaust fumes, smoke. Walk in cold weather and hot humid days. I don't know what to do. If i should seek a healthier work environment?
Doctor :   hi
User :   Hi
User :   hello
Doctor :   let me read ur query
Doctor :   what do u mean by alpha 1 ?
User :   Alpha 1 antitrypsin
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   In that case, u need a change of place as well
User :   place as in?
Doctor :   do u tae any replacement medicatons ?
User :   no
Doctor :   i meant change of place of work
User :   my lung function is 82%
User :   I get ultra sounds on my liver once a year and blood tests.
Doctor :   ok
User :   One of my brothers dies of liver cancer at 38.
User :   my older brother 51 is a ZZ and starting to get shortness of breath.
User :   I'm 43
Doctor :   there are medications available for replacing alpha 1 antitrypsin, the enzyme that u are lacking
User :   Is that walking I'm doing doing more harm then good?
Doctor :   u can ask ur doctor and he can provide such medications , available as a inhaler as well
Doctor :   no , waking is fine
User :   but is 5 hours of walking a day through winters and humid hot summers good though?
Doctor :   yOU CAN REDUCE THE duration that u walk
User :   well, that's my job, I'm a mail man so, i can't just reduce my walk.
Doctor :   or u can walk on a treadmill, if u choose
Doctor :   oh ok
User :   So, maybe seek an indoor job with the post office?
Doctor :   in that case, u need to change ur job and try a job that s less demanding
User :   Ok, do i see a family doctor or a specialist?
Doctor :   A pulmonologst will be fine
User :   Ok, I'll do that, thanks for your help!
Doctor :   u r welcome
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor