Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Treatment for a bump in the groin area - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Men's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3622 Questions
User :   In the past few weeks (maybe 5 - 10) I have noticed a small bump in my groin area, about the size of a small pimple. Didn’t hurt or bother me at all. In the past week it has gotten bigger and is now about the size of a nickel. In the last day or two it has become tender to the touch and it a little painful and uncomfortable. Any suggestions?
Doctor :   Hi Dr vvvvv
Doctor :   here
Doctor :   let me read ur query?
User :   ok
Doctor :   i guess u have folliculitis,
Doctor :   that has grown to a small absess or a furuncle
User :   can you tell me a little about that and what I might do
Doctor :   May i know where u reside ?
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   infection of the hair follicles from skin based bacteria - is folliculitis
Doctor :   once the infection, occurs, and then the infection persists, to grow into an larger size, its a furuncle
Doctor :   this is basically due to staphylococcal infection,
Doctor :   and you may need some antibiotics for treating the infection
Doctor :   and also, some NSAIDs to reduce the inflammation
Doctor :   Can u tell me your age, and prior medical history and medication list u may be on?
User :   I am the alternative medicine type who prefers not to take antibiotics. Are there any other ways to treat it other than antibiotics?
Doctor :   since the size is of a nickel, i suspect that it may need to be drained by a small incision
Doctor :   alternative means - to treat a infection are not successful in this case
User :   Age 51, very healthy medical history, no medical problems for over 20 years, last issue appendix in 1989
Doctor :   but cold packs can help reduce the pain, & inflammation
User :   I am ok with having it drained, maybe I need to go see a local doctor
Doctor :   since this is a infection and not a chronic disorder, i dont think, alternative meds can help here
Doctor :   yes, you may need to see your GP, who can drain it for you
Doctor :   are u there ?
Doctor :   Do u have any other query?
User :   yes, thinking if I have more questions
Doctor :   oh ok
User :   I don't have a GP, maybe I should go to an instacare facility
Doctor :   any ER facility can also help u out
User :   ER is probably expensive, IHC has instacare that I think is better, any advice on how to find a GP?
Doctor :   sure
Doctor :   you can go to any Internist, and ask him if he can be your GP
Doctor :   You can call the doctors office, and ask him if they take walk ins
Doctor :   and then once u get an appointment or so, you can ask him , if he can be your service provider
Doctor :   i hope i have solved ur query
User :   ok, thanks for the help, my time is about up. Good to know what it is likely to be, when something grows that fast the cancer bells start ringing
Doctor :  
thanks for consulting me , please feel free to leave your feedback, as u log out
Doctor :   this does not look like cancer to me anyway
Doctor :   have a good day
Doctor :   take care and bye for now
User :   thanks, you too, will leave feedback
Doctor :   bye and thanks again
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor