Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Treatment for REM Sleep Behavior Disorder - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Sleep Disorders
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 681 Questions
User :   i have a strange problem, when I drink , i come back home perfect without anybody knowing that i am drunk. Everything goes fine , i have my food, chat with my wife , the problem occours when i sleep, as soon as i am sleep , i make strage noies which are like screams, it like an animal howling to the maximum. I wake up the entire house and everybody knows that i am drunk, they try to awake me but i am sleep screaming. what is this problem. My life is really getting ruined and my folks on the verge of kicking me in the house, life looks ruined
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hi
Doctor :   I am Dr.XXX, let me read your query
User :   thanks
User :   i also breathe through my nose
User :   sorry mouth
User :   not nose
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Since when are you having this problem?
User :   about 10 years
User :   or maybe more only happens when i drink
User :   the sounds that i make are very frightening
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   You shall go into subconscious levels
Doctor :   during sleep
User :   ok
Doctor :   and there shall be evacuation of some emotions
Doctor :   this has to be dealt by the Psychiatrist
User :   hmm
User :   should i show somebody
Doctor :   Yes, it is good to get the help without much of a delay
User :   is this curable
User :   is this a disease or a disorder
Doctor :   Yes, it can be managed with appropriate counselling and also medications if required
Doctor :   It is a behavioral disorder
User :   is this something to do with REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
Doctor :   Yes, that is the phase
Doctor :   where the hidden emotions come out
User :   ahhhh
User :   but why alchol
Doctor :   but cannot be said as there is alcohol interference
User :   hmmm
User :   it is only alchol
Doctor :   Sorry, why alcohol meaning?
User :   alchol
User :   sorry alcohol
Doctor :   Yes, what is the confusion in that
User :   it only happens after drinks does tihs mean that i am alergik to alchol
User :   Alcohol
User :   something wrong with my spellings today
Doctor :   Thats ok with the spellings
Doctor :   not a problem
Doctor :   it is quite understandable
Doctor :   now yes alcohol influences the psyche of a person
User :   should i quit drinks
Doctor :   and hence it shall result in such disturbances
Doctor :   Quitting drinks is a solution ofcours
User :   hmmm
Doctor :   as that is the root cause
User :   can this be corrected
Doctor :   meanwhile, certain supportive medications would be required
User :   I quit drinks for 3 months and drank 4 beers yesterday, it occoured again
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   4 beers is too much for a day
Doctor :   the body cannot withstand so much
User :   yeah
User :   but people drink so much and they just fall not make noises like me
Doctor :   It depends on the individuals
User :   this is a disorder
Doctor :   like they may not metabolize the entire alcohol
Doctor :   but your metabolic system is sensitive
Doctor :   and can cause such effects
User :   so that means that alochol initates the REM sleep disorder
Doctor :   No, that is not a conclusion
Doctor :   but it can disrupt the entire sleep cycle
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor