Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Treatment for Bartholin's cyst - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3631 Questions
User :   I have a cyst on the upper portion of my vagina above the labia. It has gotten larger and is very sore and now red. It recently came to a head and emitted a white pus substance that smelled awful. My G.P. said I should see a dermatologist. Is that the correct specialist?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Are you running fever?
Doctor :   Did you have pain or discomfort when you had the cyst.
User :   No.
User :   I have the cyst now. I do have discomfort and pain when it is compressed
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
Doctor :   The cyst that you have is probably a bartholin cyst which may have got infected/inflammed.
Doctor :   A gynecologist will be able to help you with this condition.
Doctor :   You may need antibiotics and if needs surgical marsupilazation.
User :   SO I should see a gynocologist instead of a dermatologist.
Doctor :   Yes
User :   Is this serious? SHould I be in a hurry to get the appointment?
Doctor :   If pus collection is severe, you will need antibiotics as soon as possible, to control the condtion.
Doctor :   It is as such not a serious concern.
User :   Are there any home or natural remedies that might heal it?
Doctor :   No, as you report pus discharge, it needs to be drained, treated with antibiotics.
Doctor :   Home measures may not help.
User :   Okay. I will make an appointment . Is there anything else I should know about this?
Doctor :   Watch out for increasing size, appearance of fever.
Doctor :   if they appear, get to a doctor and obtain appropriate antibiotics.
User :   Okay. Thank you very much.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor