Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Treatment and detection of HPV in men - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2584 Questions
User :   Is There A Urine Test for HPV for Men. The MD I went to did a urinalysis for HPV, something new he said. It came up negative but how accurate is it?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   I am Dr.
User :   The urine test done says HPV Type-Detect 2.0 by Bio-Plex Analysis
Doctor :   Ok
User :   So your answer is....
Doctor :   I do not do a urine test for HPV
Doctor :   I go by pap smear for women
Doctor :   or a HPV antibody in serum for men
Doctor :   The clinical way without lab test is by genital warts
User :   By serum you mean blood? Have you ever heard of the urine test for men?
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   Yes
User :   so how accurate are the urine test?
User :   hello
Doctor :   We are not doing it
Doctor :   Hence I am not sure about the accuracy
Doctor :   Another way of testing for men is the pap smear at the end of the urethra
Doctor :   We do not consider Urine test as a better one
Doctor :   when pap smear is as easy
User :   Ok, so should I still be concerned that I may have HPV even though the urine test came up negative?
User :   I was told it was pearly penile papules
Doctor :   You should not be worried about HPV unless you have clinical symptoms and it shows up in the Pap
User :   Clinical Symptoms as in bumps on the penis?
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   genital bumps on penis, anus and scrotum
Doctor :   Are you able to understand?
User :   Ok, well I do have bumps but was told they were pearly penile papules but the MD wanted to do the urine test. It came up neg but still concerned that it still might be genital warts
Doctor :   Do you have any questions or doubts?
User :   Should I go get a serum test done and pap smear?
Doctor :   Look penile papules are easy diagnosis and most MD do not miss them
Doctor :   and over diagnose having HPV
Doctor :   Hence you should not worry
Doctor :   If the worry can be reduced by testing
Doctor :   you may go for Pap smear
User :   Ok, I will go for a pap smear. Why I am so worried is that the MD did question some of the bumps as possible warts, he then was satisfied by the results of urine test and diagnosed it as not genital warts.
Doctor :   The other way is to test by putting acetic acid over the bumps
User :   Another reason why I am concerned is because the girl I have been sleeping with showed me that she has a couple of bumps that resemble my so called penile papules.
User :   What should I look for with the acetic acid?
Doctor :   Genital warts
Doctor :   as they are differentiated by other papules
Doctor :   You should not do it for yourself
User :   I know genital warts, but what will the acid show on the bumps, changes i mean to know it is warts?
Doctor :   Ok there is high risk history of genital warts for you
Doctor :   I do not advise you to check for yourself
Doctor :   Usually the change in color
Doctor :   they turn white
User :   Ok, well should I be concerned for the girl?
User :   She is going to see a gyno about it
Doctor :   Since she is showing up the symptoms,
Doctor :   I suggest you to for a pap smear
User :   ok thanks
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting
Doctor :   Bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor