Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Treating depression caused by family troubles - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Depression
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
User :   my mother is suffering from depression so she can't remember things which are disturbing in nature. This has happened after a rift between my elder brother and wife. I am from XXXXXX(C.G). Can you please help me ragarding the health issue.
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   Dr XXXXX here
User :   hi
Doctor :   Let me read what you have typed
User :   ok
Doctor :   May i know her age?Since when is she suffering from depression? Does she have any other symptoms other than this?
User :   age is 45
User :   everything was fine about a week ago but there was a trouble in the she stays alone she cried alot for 2 days and didn't slept during the time..the next day when i called her she was not remembering a thing a bout last day
Doctor :   Does she have increased sugar, BP or cholesterol? Is she on any medications? Does she stay all alone?
User :   yes she has BP..yes my father has a transferable job..and I am software engineer in a different city..she is staying alone for last 7 years now
Doctor :   She seems to be in a state of shock because of the incidence.
Doctor :   It can be due to stress, anxiety, depression, fear
User :   so what can we do now
Doctor :   She is in a state of mind which is characterized by a negative sense of inadequacy and a visual lack of activity. It is a mental state in which the effecting person experiences sad feelings of gloom and downturn in mood, which may be relatively transitory and may be due to something complex.
Doctor :   You need to talk to her and make her happy, spend as much as time you can with her
Doctor :   2)Allow her to take proper rest and mind be relaxed
Doctor :   3)Take her out for some time
User :   ok
Doctor :   4)Do not leave her alone especially in this stage she should be surrounded by people and have good environment around her. Talk and spend time with her
User :   ya I will make sure I will do that..
Doctor :   If all these things do not help her in coming out at all then you need to meet a Psychiatrist or a counselor who may give some sessions of Interpersonal Therapy
Doctor :   This therapy is a short term therapy and mostly restricted to 15-20 sessions. Each session lasts for about an hour. The main approach to this therapy is around the root problem of depression. It is very helpful for a person to come out of the traumatic relationship or interpersonal events.
Doctor :   And Cognitive behavioral Therapy in which thought processes are treated.
User :   yes I will try all the things which you have said me earlier..or will meet a psychiatrist if this does not help
Doctor :   And people respond very good to it
Doctor :   Is there anything else you would like to know?
User :   is there any psychiatrist in xxxxx so that I can consult..
Doctor :   Give me a moment
User :   ok
Doctor :   You can visit this link to have a look of Psychiatrists in xxxxxx
User :   thank you doctor..thanks for the much needed help
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me, Wishing Good health to your mother
Doctor :   Take care of her
Doctor :   Bye
User :   bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor