Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Treating Costochondritis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   Dear User, You have started the trial chat with our doctor. This chat is only to provide you an idea how an actual chat would be like. Please note that the time of this chat is insufficient for the doctors to provide you a detailed answer to your questions. After the trial period, you will be redirected to the Payment page and you can select a package of your choice.
User :   Hello, I haven't had any trauma to my ribs or anything that I can possibly think of that could have caused this - and I am 34 years old, healthy, eat well, plenty of milk and vitamins, and exercise - but about four/five weeks ago I started to notice some pain in my right side, in one specific place (this was after I experienced general back pains from a saggy mattress which I replaced). I now find it painful to sleep on that side except when I'm dosed up on Myolgin and painkillers, and I've felt sensitive around my ribcage in general, finding clothing irritating around my waistline, feeling delicate when getting out of bed. I also noticed a swelling in the place of the localised pain, which now, when I prod around it (the Myolgin helps the pain), seems to be a smoothish bony lump rising from the rib itself like a kind of mound/peak - several centimeters in diameter at least I would imagine. It's located on I think the 8th rib on my side, about 5-10 cm down from where my bra lies. I haven't been able to get an x-ray yet (I'm working in Egypt and find the medical system here difficult to navigate), but I'm already panicking about what it could be, especially since I cannot think of anything that could have caused this, and it's making me feel really old and frail! The only thing I can think of is that it is a fractured rib but the shape of the lump feels too 'hilly' somehow compared with pictures I've seen on the internet of how a bone heals.
Doctor :   Hi,
Doctor :   Dr here
User :   Hello!
Doctor :   Let me read your query
User :   Ok
Doctor :   It could be Costochondritis
User :   Would that cause a bony lump?
Doctor :   But Xray is must needed
User :   Yes I realise I must do that!
Doctor :   swelling is due to inflammatory response
User :   Can the swelling feel hard like a bone?
Doctor :   present treatment with local analgesics
User :   Ok thank you my time is up!
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor