Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Tooth abcess in the upper right area of mouth - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Dental Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
User :   I have an abcess in the upper right area of my mouth. I have had this abcess for several years. I have seen four different dentists who have treated me with antibiotics (one performed a root canal afterward) and was told that I would be fine afterward. Well, this has continued to plague me. It will go away for a while but then returns with a venegance. It's back again and I am in agony right now. I don't know what to do next. Is it possible for this infection to have spread to other areas of my body? Since this all started I've had other strange illnesses that don't seem to go away.
Doctor :   hello
Doctor :   i am Dr
User :   Pleased to meet you via cyber space.
Doctor :   may i know your age and gender please ?
User :   I am a 52 year old female with diabetes.
Doctor :   so when you were on the antibiotics the abscess was gone ?
Doctor :   can you tell me if any tests were done ?
User :   It never completely went away. I had no lab work done by any of the dental professionals I saw.
Doctor :   is your diabetes under control ?
User :   At the time I had excellent control. More recently I've had some troubles. I have inexplicably lost nearly 80 lbs. in the past four months. The weight loss has been making it more difficult to maintain the desired blood glucose level.
Doctor :   i see
Doctor :   ok now for you query well to begin with dont worry an abscess infection wont spread to any part of your body
Doctor :   and also since it was responding to antibiotics clearly shows it of a infection agent
User :   That's a relief.
Doctor :   now what the protocol suggest is that you should have to get a culture done
Doctor :   the abscess is drained and sent to the lab and then we see what is the EXACT ORGANISM causing it
Doctor :   and then the SPECIFIC antibiotics are administered
Doctor :   i suggest you can go see a ENT physician
User :   Ear, Nose, and Throat?
Doctor :   yes thats correct
User :   Sounds like a plan. I will ask my Primary Care MD for a referral. In the meantime, anything you could suggest to manage the pain at home?
Doctor :   an oral abscess is completely curable if the RIGHT ANTIBIOTICS are given
Doctor :   at home you can take ibuprofen to ease the pain
Doctor :   dont try to touch it with your finger as it can be more infected
Doctor :   also you should know that if you have DIABETES the healing process will take a little MORE time
User :   That's good to know because I have already been through so many courses of every different type of antibiotic imaginable. The last one was one round of vancomycin at traditional dosage, a second round of vancomycin at double strength and still no better.
Doctor :   but dont worry a early intervention with the right antibiotics and you will be all good
Doctor :   yes thats why its CRUCIAL to take a culture so that we know what EXACTLY is causing it
User :   Would a salt water rinse be helpful or perhaps a warm compress applied to the cheek?
Doctor :   both are excellent ways to ease the pain and swelling
Doctor :   the real cure however lies in the medications
User :   Ok. Thank you so much for your help Doctor. Enjoy the remainder of your day.
Doctor :   you too take care
Doctor :   and you are most welcome
Doctor :   good bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor