Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Tests for upper abdominal pain - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Abdominal Pain
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
Doctor :   hi how can i help you?
User :   i need to find out what's wrong with my stomach!
User :   i have upper abdominal pain
User :   no heartburn
User :   it moves to my back
User :   it's relieved with antacids, but i usually have to take more than one
Doctor :  
User :   it's worse when i lay down
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
since when you are having this?
User :   it's not a sharp pain, so i don't think it's an ulcer..
User :   about a year now
User :   it comes and goes, but it happens at least 4/5 times a week
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
have you done any scan?
User :   i went to the ER once, and they didn't do any real tests, but gave me a prescription for something similar to prilosec
User :   i bought the prilosec instead because it was cheaper (pharmacist said it was ok)
User :   and it works, but i have to take a lot of them.
Doctor :  
you will need to do a endoscopy and a abdominal ultrasound
Doctor :  
to see what is wrong
User :   i figured... what do you think it could be?
Doctor :  
whether the symptoms are due to ulcer disease or due to pancreatitis, or due to gallsotnes
Doctor :  
all of these will have similar symptoms initially
Doctor :  
you can continue using Prilosec two times a day
Doctor :  
but if not getting relief then i would suggest you to take these tests and report back
Doctor :  
or get a reexamination done
Doctor :  
and change the medications accordingly

Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor