Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Tear in the labia and painful intercourse - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Women Sexual Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2568 Questions
User :   about a year ago my husband and i were having sex and something tore - it's the thin skin at the base of the vagina - I think its called the frenulum of the labia. It took ages to heal and I did see a doctor soon after it happened and she said it was inflamed, she gave me a cream and told us to abstain for a few weeks which we did. Anyway, it's been over a year and penetration during sex is very painful for me - I am very tight down there which doesn't help the situation any. The area is often very sore and itchy. Is it possible that it never healed properly?
Doctor :   Hi,
Doctor :   Dr XXX here
User :   hi XXX raju
Doctor :   plese give me some time read your post
User :   okay
Doctor :   yes ,
User :   yes what
Doctor :   there are possibilities where it could have healed with fibrosis i mean scar tissue
User :   so is there anything that can be done about it
Doctor :   resulting the present tightness
Doctor :   there are no medications available to loosen the tissue over there
Doctor :   it takes time to loosen up
User :   how much time?
Doctor :   may be more than a year and depends on the frequency of intercourse
User :   so the more we do it the quicker itll heal? that's sort of a catch 22 because it hurts when I do it so we don't do it as much as i would like if that makes sense
Doctor :   you can prevent the pain by using local anesthetic gellys
User :   is there any surgical solution? not that I am thrilled at the thought of having a scalpel in my delicate parts but I am way too young to have painful sex for the rest of my life
Doctor :   and they help in lubrication also
User :   do you have example of names of anaesthetic jellies
Doctor :   Xylocain 2% gelly
Doctor :   you can apply 5 minutes prior to the intercourse
User :   is xylocain 2% available in England - do u know??
Doctor :   i would suggest do no go for any surgery wher you may run risk of worsening the condition
Doctor :   its the generic name i have told you
Doctor :   there are many brands available
User :   would applying xylocaine or other anasthetic jelly affect sexual pleasure either in the short term or long term?
User :   Also the gel would be transferred to my husband during intercourse would it effect him detrimentally in any way?
Doctor :   yes, they do affect but very minimal
Doctor :   though they can prolong the performance
User :   now that I can live with
User :   but would it continue to affect once I stop using the cream
Doctor :   the loosening which occurs in time will take care of the problem, the gelly is just a cover and facilitator
User :   thank you so much for your help, it is so comforting to know that I am able tohave pain free sex again, even if it will take some time.
Doctor :   is there anything i can help you with
User :   this is the first time I am using the website and am very impressed - is there anywhere i can leave feedback
Doctor :   yes, a soon as you end the chat you wil be guided for that
User :   im going to contact my gp in the morning to arrange a prescription for some cream and hopefully this will help
User :   thank you once again and good night
Doctor :   ok thanks for consulting
Doctor :   Have good times
Doctor :   bye for now
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor