Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Taking medication for hypothyroidism. Could I consume ozonated water on a daily basis? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 12-Dec-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1540 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:Hi Doctor
User:I have hypothyroidism.
User:I have been on medication for the last 3 years or so.
User:The same is well within range for over a year now and I take medication properly.
User:I was going through the benefits of Ozonated water in journals a couple of days back.
User:I wanted to know whether I could opt for a glass of ozonated water on a daily basis or not.
User:Would it present any problems?
User:Would it have any complications pertaining to my hypothyroidism?
User:I am otherwise a normal person with good BMI ratio at the age of 40 with no other known ailments.
Doctor:There are no enough studies done on ozonated water to comprehensively suggest the benefits and side effects.
Doctor:However as per the current data available, it has no potential disadvantages.
Doctor:Therefore you can take it.
Doctor:It has not known to affect thyroid hormones or your thyroid medications.
Doctor:That being said, prefer to take your medicines on empty stomach atleast an hour before you take any form of water or food.
User:I have read that it could create problems if there are bromides present in water that is being oxidised.
User:I take RO filtered water - so that should be ok right?
User:Yes Doc, I do take my medicines at least 45 min before any food or drinks.
User:Doctor - I also wanted to know about Vitiligo....
Doctor:I am sorry, I am not the right expert who knows about filtration machines. Therefore I wouldn't be able to answer that question.
User:Sure Doctor.
Doctor:I am unsure if you would have bromides with RO filtered water
Doctor:you can check with the related authorities about that.
Doctor:You can proceed with your vitiligo question?
User:Sure Doctor.
User:Ok - actually my daughter who is only 6 yrs old is developing an initial lightening of skin under both her eyes....
User:It is a little lightening as of now but it can be seen.
User:I have read on the net that it is the normal and usual form of could be that.
User:Wanted to know - should I show that to any skin specialist?
User:Because the websites are saying that it doesn't have any real known treatments.
Doctor:From what I understand, your daughter has developed areas of lighten skin over the cheeks.
Doctor:And as you read, this may be vitiligo
User:Yes Doctor
Doctor:or it may be pytriasis XXXXXXX too.
Doctor:Or a form of infection
Doctor:Now, without a skin examination it is difficult to confirm what your daughter really has.
Doctor:If it's vitiligo, a steroid containing cream may be used to see if it improves.
Doctor:If that's pytriasis XXXXXXX it will resolve spontaneously.
User:ok sir in that case I need to show her to a skin specialist.
Doctor:And infection will need specific treatment.
Doctor:Therefore I would recommend you not to go by internet alone.
Doctor:Take her to a skin clinic.
User:ok doctor
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:Which doctor would you recommend in Kolkata
Doctor:I practice far away from Kolkata, therefore I do not have any personal reference there. If you have no personal reference or friend or your local doctors reference
User:Sure Sir. I would try to find it out.
Doctor:I can try finding experts from google and mail it to you.
User:You've been really helpful.
Doctor:I am glad that this was of some help.
User:I really appreciate!
Doctor:Do you have any other questions?
User:No thanks Doctor
User:Thanks for your time.
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor