Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Symptoms of genitourinary infection - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Good Posted in: Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User :   HI, my foreskin is swollen on one side and i regularly have pus coming out of the tip of the penis. it burns when i pee.
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   May I know your age ?
User :   31
Doctor :   Since when are you having these symptoms?
Doctor :   Are you sexually active?
User :   just 3 days ago
User :   yes
User :   i first felt some burning sensation maybe 3-4 days ago
User :   after, when doing sex, i felt more pain .. on the foreskin tip .. i thought it was because it was dry
Doctor :   Were you involved in an unprotected sexual intercourse?
User :   one day later it swollen a bit
User :   yes
User :   but is my regular companion
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
Doctor :   Your symptoms are consistent with the features of a genitourinary infection.
Doctor :   The following measures are to be followed
Doctor :   1. Drink plenty of water
User :   i thought that it might have been related with the fact i hadnt cleaned that well .. .being in a tropical country .. i have been cleaning it regularly since alot of pus comes out furing the day
Doctor :   2. A glass of cranberry juice twice or thrice a day
Doctor :   3. And lastly you will need oral antibiotics
User :   i am in China, can you advise any sort of medicin for the infection? yes .. antibiotics
User :   which type ?
Doctor :   Antibiotics is to be started after getting a urine test and swab test of the pus discharge.
User :   i c
User :   would Cefalexin be ok ?
Doctor :   hence, I suggest that you see a doctor, who can get the tests done and prescribe you the antibiotics.
Doctor :   Yes, that would be ok, but, the test are essential to rule out a STD
User :   ok
Doctor :   where in more active treatment is recommended.
Doctor :   Hope it is clear to you.
User :   once i start on anti biotics .. if there is no STD, how tfor the swelling to come down ?
User :   it is clear ... i have just avoided going to the medic because i am in china
User :   whre everything is treated with sorum
Doctor :   Your symptoms will disappear with antibiotics and the measures that I suggested, however, since you report of pus discharge,
Doctor :   It is essential that one rules out bacterial infection, that can be contagious.
Doctor :   Hence I strongly recommend you these test before you start on the antibiotics.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I suggested?
User :   what about my partner
User :   if its bacterial .. should she also be worried ?
User :   what should she do preventive wise ?
Doctor :   Yes, avoid sexual activity till your are symptom free.
User :   we had sexual activity at the early stage of the penis getting swollen
Doctor :   If your partner too has similar symptoms, then she too may need the antibiotics.
User :   at the time, no pus
User :   she has no symptoms
Doctor :   Watch out for the symptoms in your partner and restrict sexual activity.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Have you followed?
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   what sort of ymptoms should she be aware of ?
Doctor :   Abnormal discharge, discomfort while passing urine, abdominal pain are few common symptoms that she should watch out for.
User :   ok, thank you
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor