Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Symptoms of HIV, irritation in left shoulder muscle, palpable lymph nodes - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User :   I am experiencing some symptoms of HIV, can you help diagnose them? My last sexual encounter was one month ago, but it was only oral sex. Since then, I have experienced irritation in my left shoulder muscle, palpable lymph nodes, and what I think might be a maculopapular rash. Should I get myself tested at the three-month mark?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   May I know your age and gender?
User :   Im an 18 yr old male
Doctor :   Since when have you noticed these symptoms?
User :   Maybe four week after the soral sex
User :   oral*
Doctor :   May I know who your partner was?
User :   He was a male, 26 years old
User :   I don't know if he was HIV positive or negative
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you have fever?
User :   No
User :   No flu like symptoms either
Doctor :   Did you suffer from on and off fever during the month following exposure?
User :   Nope, I haven't had one at all
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain.
Doctor :   Though, I cannot pinpoint what may be the cause for your current symptoms, the symptoms
Doctor :   are not consistent with the symptoms of HIV infection.
Doctor :   More over, the chances of HIV transmission
Doctor :   through an oral sex alone (saliva) is also rare.
User :   Okay
User :   I have a few questions though
Doctor :   Yes proceed.
User :   If a lymph node is enlarged how big would it be? Because I know the ones inguinal nodes and the ones in the neck are easily palpable. And, I have random itchy bumps on my arms, thighs, and trunk. Are itchy red bumps consistent with a maculopapular rash?
Doctor :   Any lymphnode that is palpable is abnormally enlarged, however
Doctor :   the inguinal and axillary group of lymphnodes can get enlarged commonly in less serious illness too.
User :   Okay
Doctor :   One or two lymphnode (not group) enlargement in these region is considered insignigicant.
Doctor :   Hence you need not worry about those.
User :   Alright. What about the bumps on my skin?
Doctor :   The best way to rule out HIV though is by getting the test.
User :   Right
Doctor :   I would suggest you to get the test done (if feasible), the HIV Elisa test at the end of 3 months following exposure.
Doctor :   This is the best way to alleviate your anxiety regarding HIV.
Doctor :   As I mentioned already, I cannot pinpoint what the cause for the bumps that you have without a physical examination.
Doctor :   I would suggest you to watch over those bumps for changes.
User :   Yes, I have a physical in two weeks. Thank you so much, Doctor
Doctor :   Most of these bumps clear off if you don't have fever, and severe itching.
User :   No, the itching isn't sever I was just worried about them.
Doctor :   If these bumps increase in size, or if you notice fever like symptoms, you will need specific treatment then.
User :   Okay
Doctor :   You need not concern much about, as the chances of HIV is rare.
Doctor :   Consult your doctor as scheduled.
Doctor :   And the HIV Test at 3rd month.
Doctor :   This should clear you off all the doubts that you have.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   Okay, thank you Doctor. I feel very relieved. And yes, I'm going to get my physical and then get the ELISA test in february
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   No, that's everything. Thank you again
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me. Bye for now.
Doctor :   Wish you a Happy New Year.
User :   Happy new year to you as well!
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor