Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Swollen vein at the side of ribs - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: General Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 667 Questions
User :   I have something outside the left side of my ribs that feels like a swollen vein, it runs about three inches long, tender to the touch, I work out sometimes but read some information about liver disease which concerns me
Doctor :   hi,
User :   hello
Doctor :   May i know your age , gender and occupation?
User :   women, 35, real estate agent/mom
User :   just gave birth 6 months ago
Doctor :   is it soft or firm to touch ?
User :   firm
User :   its been going on for two weeks
Doctor :   Is it pain ful or hurts only on touch ?
User :   only to the touch
Doctor :   ok, Is there any discoloration in the skin over the lesion ?
User :   I don't think its a lesion and no discoloration, what is a lesion
Doctor :   lesions means any swelling or a spot deviation from normal structure , color etc
Doctor :   ok , based on your history . i would rule out the relation with any liver disease
User :   The skin looks 100% normal, its just like a vein that you would see in your arm only its on the outside of my rib cage and it runs about three inches and disappears ubder my lower rib cage
Doctor :   it could be a lipoma , complicated by inflammation
Doctor :   or a thrombophlebitis
Doctor :   Thrombophlebitis ( inflammation of a vein )
User :   What causes that?
Doctor :   leading to thickening of the vein layer and causing pain
Doctor :   the cause can be from a needle stick injury to a small open rash
Doctor :   through which the infection is lead into the vein from external
User :   none of those have happened
User :   sometimes tar like poop happens as well
Doctor :   some times the cause would be internal , by an emboli ( a blood clot or a chunk of a tissue ) which can be seen commonly in post surgery or post child birth
User :   I have a doctors appointment on Thursday, is there any reason for me to go to the Emergency room?
Doctor :   not an emergency, but you can wait till thursday
Doctor :   do not handle the swelling much as it can dislodge the emboli ,
Doctor :   dislodged emboli can move into any blood vessel from there to any organ
Doctor :   which could be dangerous
User :   then shouldnt I go to the doctor now?
Doctor :   but i consider the diagnosis has to be confirmed first by examining the swelling in detail
Doctor :   You can visit a GP now , once he is sure of the diagnosis then he will refer you to a surgeon
User :   ok thank you
Doctor :   You are welcome
Doctor :   Is there anything i can help you with ?
Doctor :   Are you there ?
Doctor :   I have to close the window as you are not responding. Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries.
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor