Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Swelling in the bottom of eyelids, incision of the effected part suggested - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   Hii
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   How can I help you?
User :   Thank you
User :   i have a problem in my right eye
User :   the bottom eyelids are a bit swollen
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Since when are you having this?
User :   its not paining nor itching yet
User :   yesterday it was barely seen
Doctor :   Ok
User :   now its little bit more
User :   no problem in eye sight though
User :   and i haven't noticed any insect bite also
User :   nor ant bite
User :   else it would have been itching
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you find redness on the swelling?
User :   little bit
Doctor :   May I know your age?
User :   31
Doctor :   Do you diabetes or thyroid problems?
User :   none yet
User :   but i live in the top floor of an apartment, and these days its been hot in our place
Doctor :   Is the swelling present over the region where there is eye lashes?
Doctor :   I guess it is difficult to find this out.
Doctor :   But if you can look at the mirror and tell me.
User :   yes, i have to check on the mirror
User :   ok, gimme a min
User :   yes, its on the eye lashes
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
User :   eye lashes in the sense,
User :   bottom eye lashes, if i may correct
User :   :-)
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   There are many glands around the eye lid as well as follicles through with eye lashes grow.
Doctor :   When either the eye lashes or these glands get infected,
User :   ok
Doctor :   they can cause swelling such as what you are currently experiencing.
User :   ohh
Doctor :   You will need antibiotic eye ointments and eye drops that need to be applied and instilled into the affected eye.
Doctor :   Most often the condition improve in a few days with these measures.
Doctor :   Apart from this, hot fomentation application over the affected region can be tried.
User :   ok
User :   like warm cloth?
Doctor :   Usually they respond well to the antibiotics as well as hot fomentation (yes warm cloth).
Doctor :   Some may grow in size.
User :   any specific oinments/eye drops you can suggest?
Doctor :   Such growing lesions need small procedure of incision / drainage and removal of the affected follicle and glands.
User :   i was actually applying ice cubes wrapped in cloth thinking it might sooth down
Doctor :   That was good, but probably hot water fomentation is better.
User :   ohh ok
Doctor :   The need for procedure is much less and most often they respond with this treatment.
Doctor :   So you need not worry.
User :   ok,great
Doctor :   Regarding the eye ointments and eye drops, since they are prescription medications
Doctor :   I cannot suggest the names of them here.
Doctor :   As I have not physically examined you.
User :   ok,no worries
Doctor :   Hence I recommend that you see a doctor near your location
User :   i appreciate
User :   okay
Doctor :   and take prescription.
User :   will do that
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   no,i think that will do for now
User :   thank you very much
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
User :   tc,bubyee
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor