Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Swelling and pain in the ankles and lump below the knee - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User :   Hi, I had Chikangunay last November, and still have some swelling and pain in my ankles. Today I noticed a lump on my shin bone below my knee. I am 59 years old. Can the swelling on my shin bone be due to Chikangunay as well? Thank You
Doctor :   Hi,
Doctor :   Dr here
User :   Hi
Doctor :   Is the swelling soft , firm or bony ?
User :   Bony
Doctor :   Is it tender ?
Doctor :   i mean pain on touch ?
User :   Slightly
Doctor :   ok, Is it over the joint ?
User :   It is below the knee..about two inches
Doctor :   ok, is the swelling progressing over time ?
User :   I noticed it today for the first time
Doctor :   oh , ok
Doctor :   do you have fever now ?
User :   No..I am working and going to office everyday...the ankle swelling and pain is very mild
Doctor :   ok, this can be due to perosteitis
User :   Do I need to get further investigation done for the swelling on my shin bone...MRI or something?
User :   Oh..what is that?
Doctor :   inflammation of the nourishing outer layer of the bone
Doctor :   and yes it could be a complication of chikengunya
User : I need to get any treatment for it?
Doctor :   yes, you will need an Xray to confirm that
User :   Ok..Thank you so much!
Doctor :   the treatment is simple with NSAIDS ( antiinflammatories )
Doctor :   and its curable
User :   Ok..Thank You!
Doctor :   You are welcome
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me
User :   Welcome
Doctor :   kindly provide your feedback
Doctor :   Bye for now
User :   Bye
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor