Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Swelling and brusing over the shin due to edema - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 676 Questions
User :   I hit my shin really hard. It's swelling and bruised. Should I do something?
Doctor :   Hi,
User :   Hi
Doctor :   Dr XXX here
User :   XXXXXXXX here
Doctor :   Yes, XXXXXXXX is the swelling slowly increasing in size ?
User :   Yes
Doctor :   How did you get the injury?
User :   I was closing the car door and the corner hit me in the shin
Doctor :   the swelling may be due to the oozing of the blood from the crack in the bone
User :   Ok. I'm think ice and elevation
Doctor :   Is the swelling big enough?
User :   Big enough?
Doctor :   I mean relatively to the shin? how many inches ?
User :   It's almost as high as my knee.
Doctor :   Then i would suggest to rush to the ER and get an Xray to rule out fracture
Doctor :   ASPS
Doctor :   Iceing may help , well continue it
User :   I have an odd body structure...I am a dwarf. I don't think it's fractured. I'm more concerned about possible clotting
Doctor :   A simple crack may also ooze blood resulting into swelling
User :   Ok
Doctor :   its better to rule out with an Xray
Doctor :   if no fracture
User :   Ok
Doctor :   you can apply a CREPE bandage to reduce the swelling which may be due to soft tissue swelling
Doctor :   due to edema
User :   Thanks
Doctor :   Is there anything i can help you with?
Doctor :   Are you there?
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me XXX,kindly provide your feedback
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor