Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Surgical treatment for fistula - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Average Posted in: Digestion and Bowels
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   Hi. I have had a cut in between my butt crack, for lack of better words, that will not completely heal. It stings when I wipe sometimes. I have had it for over a year. I have tried everything from ointments to powder, ect. The ointments help but will not make it go completely away. Do you have an idea as to what this could be? Thanks!
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hi
Doctor :   May I know your age?
User :   27
Doctor :   Have you seen a doctor?
User :   no
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Can you describe your symptoms - do you have pain while passing stools, blood with stools?
User :   no pain just stinging some of time
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   let me brief you.
User :   ok
Doctor :   Since, I am unable to examine you, I cannot pinpoint the exact cause for your symptoms, however,
Doctor :   since your symptoms have been for a long time, it can probably be a fistula which is not healed.
Doctor :   Ideal treatment in such conditions will be surgical correction.
Doctor :   Hence, I would suggest you to consult a surgeon,
Doctor :   you will need a per rectal examination to confirm the cause.
User :   Is a fistula the same as a fissure?
Doctor :   Fissure is not similar to fistula.
Doctor :   Fistula is an abnormal passage with either one or two open ends.
Doctor :   It constantly drains collections.
Doctor :   This can be treated by surgery alone.
Doctor :   I would suggest you to consider consulting a surgeon, for a per rectal examination.
User :   ok. drains collections of what?... and its not a cut in the rectum its in the crack
Doctor :   As I mentioned earlier, a per rectal examination can only confirm the exact cause.
Doctor :   the two possible causes for your symptoms are
Doctor :   fistula or a non healing fissure.
Doctor :   Both of these need surgical correction.
Doctor :   Hence I would strongly recommend you to consult a surgeon for the per rectal examinatino.
Doctor :   *examination.
Doctor :   Things will be clear following the per rectal examination.
User :   ok great. Are the results usually a success?
User :   surgery results
Doctor :   Yes, surgical treatment are effective.
Doctor :   Though there are chances of recurrence, I cannot predict them without the findings of per rectal examination.
User :   ok thank you
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
User :   bye
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor