Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Surgery to treat splenic lacerations with spleen enlargement and hemorrage - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Jan-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: General Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions

User :   If a person is diagnosed with a grade 3 ruptered spleen with MULTIPLE lacerations and throughtout the spleen most compatible splenic lacerations with suggestion of hemorrahge, spleen appears enlarged as well, with free fluid noted throughout the abdomen with higher density than expected suggesting hemmorhage,
Should a doctor do an emergency splenectomy or wait to see if the patient will be fine?
Or should exploratory surgery done just as a precaution?
Doctor :   hi
User :   hi
Doctor :  
please give me time to read through your history
User :   ok
Doctor :  
this will require urgent attention
User :   If they just put the patient into ICU for observation?
Doctor :  
with splenectomy and a somach wash on table during the operation
Doctor :  
if the splenic lacerations are confirmed, then it is not advised to wait
User :   Grade 3 with hemorahge is not advised to wait?
Doctor :  
as blood loss wil continue and slowly patient might collapse
User :   why is that?
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
in case if the blood loss is too much
Doctor :  
Doctor :  
they will want to stabilize the patient before taking up for operation
User :   no slow blood loss leading to the patient just being observed in the ICU
User :   then released home... on a grade 3
User :   is that advisable?
Doctor :  
exploratory surgery should be done.

Doctor :  
what was the cause for spleen enlargement?
Doctor :  
and the splenic lacerations?
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor