Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Surgery for ear infection and sinus problem - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Doctor :   Hi
User :   sir iam suffering from ear ache
Doctor :   ok
User :   i am using antibiotics
User :   ceptal cf , enzomac
User :   ear drops
User :   but i dont see result
User :   during night time pain is unbearable
Doctor :   may i know ur age and how long have u had this issue ?
User :   day time i am fine
User :   age is 26
User :   i am facing since 1 week
User :   i consultant ent specialist last week
Doctor :   did u have such issues before ?
User :   and they prescribed above medication
Doctor :   did the doctor find any problems within the ear like discharge ?
User :   hmm i used to have discharge right from childhood
User :   and he had xray of nose
User :   and found sinus
Doctor :   did the doctor find any perforation of rhe ear drum ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   this indicates that you have chronic suppurtive otitis media and chronic sinusitis
User :   my doctor is out of town and he will be back in 2 days
User :   is there any thing i can do right now to eliminate pain
Doctor :   the pain is due to some ongoing inflammation in the ear
Doctor :   may i know what drops are u using ?
User :   otocin 0
User :   ceprolacen
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   what about any pain killers ?
User :   enzomac
Doctor :   In that case, take urgendol tablets twice daily for the pain
Doctor :   enzomac will not be enough for the pain
User :   ceftal also im using
Doctor :   also you can take some sedatives to help you sleep
Doctor :   thats not a pain killer
User :   what are they
Doctor :   ceftal is an antibiotic
User :   yes
User :   is the name of tablet urgendol?
Doctor :   yes
Doctor :   the medicine name is tramadol,
Doctor :   the alternatives are ultragesic
User :   ok will these help in relieving pain
Doctor :   yes they will definitely
User :   is there any combnation of pain killer and sedative
Doctor :   You can take SINAREST
Doctor :   but they will not be much effective
Doctor :   as tramadol
User :   one more thing how dangerous is this chronic otitis
Doctor :   you need a surgery to fix it
Doctor :   or else , it will keep on recurring and progress to mastoiditis and other complications
Doctor :   once a tympanoplasty is done, it will help to clear the infection
Doctor :   and you will have no more symptoms
User :   is tympanoplasty is nme of surgery
Doctor :   yes , it is
User :   is sinus cause of ear discharge
User :   my doctor said treating sinus will fix this issue too
Doctor :   ear infections can spread to the sinuses
Doctor :   and this can cause recurrent sinusitis
Doctor :   yes , your doctor is right
Doctor :   but since the problem is long standing
Doctor :   and you have a ear discharge
Doctor :   the chances of repeated infections are high
User :   in that case is tymnoplasty necessary or sinus surgery is necessary
Doctor :   YES, the best solution is surgery, that is tympanoplasty
Doctor :   sinus surgery is not needed
User :   will tympanoplasty fix sinus
Doctor :   YES , once the ear infection is cured, there will not be any severe episodes of sinus infections
Doctor :   AND THE only way, to cure the ear infection , is SURGERY
User :   and one more thing is how complicated is surgery
Doctor :   THIS IS A simple surgery, done in 45 min to 1 hrs
User :   ok
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor