Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Surgery for a Polio affected patient - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 674 Questions
User :   Hi Doctor,
I have polio in left leg and its shorter by 1.5inch and week. I use my left hand to support my left leg. While walking. I think its called hand to knee gate. I am 36 year old and got high blood pressure. and take medicine for the same. Can i go under surgery. how much time it will take to be OK after surgery. Is there any risk involved. Is there any possibility that my condition would be worse then present after surgery and i cant walk.
Please advise
Doctor :   hi
User :   Hi Doctor
Doctor :   let me read what you have typed.
User :   Sure
Doctor :   surgery for correction or lengthening can be done after careful evaluation of the leg
User :   Ok
Doctor :   once your BP is under good control, surgery can be done anytime
Doctor :   based on the type of surgery done, the recovery period may vary
User :   how much time it will take after surgery to start normal day to day work
Doctor :   as I said, the recovery period would vary
User :   is there any Risk invoved
User :   What will be the maximum time for recovery.
Doctor :   risk would be same as other surgery with anesthesia risks like
Doctor :   if it is a surgery involving release of contractures and lengthening of leg, the complete recovery might take upto 6-8 months
User :   Is it possible that my condition would be worse then present. and I cant in future
Doctor :   the risks would involve cardiac risks, coagulation problem, breathing trouble etc
User :   Is it possible that my condition would be worse then present. and I cant walk in future
Doctor :   no, it would not be worse, the surgery would be to help you continue normal day to day life in a better way.
Doctor :   you will be able to walk after full recovery in a normal way
Doctor :   without the hand to knee gait
User :   ok is there any caliper or electronic knee that i can use
Doctor :   calipers can be used for assistance along with gait training
Doctor :   you can contact a physiotherapist for evaluation of your needs and the right prescription
Doctor :   until you get the surgery done for permanent correction
User :   You mean to say that such type of E knee is available
Doctor :   it is not exactly an 'electronic knee', calipers are available to aid in gait with temporary correction of the leg length discrepancy
Doctor :   that can be manually put and with gait training
Doctor :   patient is able to walk on his own
User :   I read about Horton's Stance Control
User :   is it available in India
User :   its has electronic knee and allow normal gate
Doctor :   no I am not sure if it is available in India
Doctor :   you can discuss about it with your orthopedic doctor and physiotherapist
Doctor :   the manual one is available in India for sure
Doctor :   which is adjusted to your needs and the leg length dicrepancy
Doctor :   for regular use
User :   In India only caliper availbel and with this my left leg is always be strait and and no knee movment
Doctor :   try the one which has manual control adjustment
User :   Ok
Doctor :   where you can adjust to bend your knee
Doctor :   when you need
User :   I need only assurance that my condition wouldn't be worse then present.
Doctor :   no, it will not be worse than present.
User :   Is it sure that my condtions wouldnt worse after surgery
Doctor :   you will be able to walk normally after surgery
Doctor :   when you recover compeltely
User :   Ok thanks Doctor Thanks alot
Doctor :   with regular physiotherapy and gait training
Doctor :   is there anything else I can help you with?
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me. bye for now.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor