Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for poison oak exposure - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 08-Apr-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
User:I was exposed to poison oak 2 weeks ago. I have a bad rash on legs and arms. Is there something I can use to stop the itching and spread of the rash?
Doctor:You could use Cetrizine tablets twice a day
User:Do I need a perscription?
Doctor:that would reduce the itching
Doctor:Cetrizine is available OTC
Doctor:if that is not available you can use Benadryl as well
User:I applied tecnu and that was suppose to stop ich and spreading of rash ... but it does not work
Doctor:that is also equally effective
User:I have been taking Benadryl ... no result
Doctor:Do not apply anything locally except an antibacterial cream such as Neosporin
Doctor:oh okay
User:I have used tecnu daily ... rash spreading and still itching
Doctor:in that case you will need to see a dermatologist
User:you can offer no advice?
Doctor:I am not well versed with such cases as we do not encounter this particular problem in our country
Doctor:poison oak is not present in this part of the world
Doctor:hence I would not be the right person to guide you
User:I seem to know more about poison oak that you do. I will try a local doctor. This site has offered no real advice. thanks anyway
Doctor:As far as I know
Doctor:the rash is an allergic reaction to urushiol
Doctor:the rash may appear as spreading, but usually the rash is still developing because of the initial contact itself
Doctor:You need not use special cleanser to clean the skin
Doctor:you can clean the skin with normal soap and water
Doctor:that will be sufficient
Doctor:And since it is an allergic reaction, antihistamines such as Benadryl or cetrizine should help
Doctor:if these do not help, then you can go for a short course of steroids
Doctor:And steroids are available only on prescription
Doctor:that is the oral tablets are available on prescription only
Doctor:you can use topical steroid creams such as flutivate locally
Doctor:This is what I know about poison oak contact dermatitis
Doctor:If you need further information, you may please see your local skin specialist
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me here
Doctor:take care
Doctor:and bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor