Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for hairfall - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 06-Apr-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 106 Questions
Doctor:how can I help you?
User:I've been facing hairfall from few years now
User:and was on homeopathic medicine from 3 years
User:This have really curbed my hairfall upto large extent
User:However, there is a bald patch developed at the top of my head
User:Currently, my uncle has prescribed me to use Minoxidil 5%
Doctor:that means homeopathic treatment did not curb the hairfall...
User:it curbed but dint helped much in hair re-growth
Doctor:Your homeopathic treatment was a fraud
User:I used to have dense hair when i was in college
Doctor:If it curbed hairfall then you would not have developed that bald patch at all
Doctor:so now you want to know if minoxidil will help
User:well i would say that i ignored it intially but when the hairfall went out of control then i went for the homeopathic treatment
User:Thts my question
Doctor:How can I convince you that homeopathy is a fraud?
Doctor:as for Minoxidil, if you use it daily, for at least 6 months, you will start seeing new hair growing in that bald patch
User:And how about taking biotin 5mg tablets along with minoxidil?
Doctor:hair growth will be good as long as you use minoxidil
Doctor:biotin will not be of much use
Doctor:just eat healthy food
Doctor:and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
User:Yeah i do eat healthy food including fruits and vegetables
Doctor:if you stop minoxidil, your hair will start falling again after 6 months
User:and also do daily exercise
User:Isn't there any permanent solution for this?
User:If its required i can use minoxidil for rest of my life.
Doctor:Permanent solution is hair transplantation
Doctor:there is no other permanent solution
Doctor:That link I gave is a link to a BBC documentary about how homeopathy is not a science
User:But i want to look natural. I've seen people doing hair transplant and anybody could easily make out that this is not natural
Doctor:Hair transplant will look natural
Doctor:the abnormal looking hair is not transplant
User:And how much does it cost?
Doctor:and it depends on the hair that is transplanted
Doctor:I am not sure
User:and which is the best place to get it done?
Doctor:it may cost anywhere between 2 to 3 lacs
Doctor:I am not aware of that either
Doctor:You will have to find out yourself
Doctor:is there anything else I can help you with?
User:i've seen some videos on youtube which are posted by people who used minoxidil and have got their original hairline back
User:is it true?
Doctor:it is true
Doctor:minoxidil will cause hair to grow back
Doctor:I told you that earlier itself
User:So is there any harm if i use minoxidil for long term?
User:i mean throughout my life?
User:as a replacement of hairoil?
Doctor:You should be careful in applying minoxidil, that is all
Doctor:it is not a replacement for hair oil
Doctor:it is not an oil
Doctor:minoxidil is a medicine
User:So Can i use both of them together?
Doctor:and there are no side effects other than too much hair growth wherever it is applied
Doctor:don't use both together
Doctor:your hair oil may cause some reaction
Doctor:is there anything else?
User:No thats it
User:Thanks for your time
Doctor:thanks for using the chat
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor