Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for fever in a child - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 14-Jan-2015
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Child Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
Please proceed with your query
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:My kid has fever since yesterday morning. Started with 99.1 in armpit, went up to 100.1 and in the evening 102. Gave calpol 250mg, 4ml in the morning and evening in the gap of 6 hours
User:Went to doctor 30 minutes after giving calpol in the evening after 102.
User:Doctor checked and it is 100.4 in armpit
User:He prescribed calpol 250 mg 4ml every 6 hours if temp > 100
User:and then mfetol-p if temp is > 102 or not reduced 2 hours after giving calpol
Doctor:I see, any other symptoms beyond the fever?
User:Actualy it started with snoaring in yesterday night but no sneezing
User:Doctor said, chest is clear and there is throat congestion/infection but suggested to wait for 2 days before giving anti-biotic
Doctor:Does he have a stuffy nose? or coughing? runny nose etc?
User:No nothing
Doctor:Ok, i see
Doctor:I agree on waiting for the antibiotics, most infections in this age group are viral.
Doctor:and antiobiotics won't help a viral infection
Doctor:The childs immune system has to fight it off.
User:Last night @ 8:30 checked the fever and it went up to 102. So gave mfetol-p. Now after around 6 hours I see his skin is hot. My question is can I give him calpol again or should wait for 8 hours to get over as mfetol-p was prescribed in 8 hours duration
Doctor:6 hours is an acceptable time to wait, you can give it to him now
User:He is sleeping but has trouble with breathing due to some blockage
Doctor:Meftal is a very benign drug and you don't have to worry too much about giving an extra dose
User:But I heard on healthcare magic, it is not supposed to be used for kids and has side effects.
Doctor:Steam inhalation can help in this case
Doctor:Meftal P is mefanemic acid.
User:Here is the link where it is explained?
Doctor:Let me see if there are any specific issues with children, I've not heard of any myself
Doctor:One sec
Doctor:Thanks for the link, will look at that too
User:Sure I will wait
Doctor:So I see Dr. Amperyani's issue here. I guess it's an issue of choice and experience
Doctor:Mefanemic acid can cause issues if a child has heart issues etc
Doctor:he certainly is an expert and I trust his judgement. He's an experience pediatrician
User:So what should I do now. Can I give calpol 250 mg 6 hours after mfetol-p is given?
User:I did not check his temp now as he will not allow me at all but it will be definately above 101
Doctor:Yes, Calpol is certainly safe and can be given.
User:I dont see any other symptoms. Do you think it is viral only as I heard in bacterial fever do not increase fast and in viral first 48 hours temp will be high
Doctor:There is no sure fire way to tell if it is viral for sure
User:so you say it is safe to give calpol 6 hours after meftal-p. Sorry to ask again but I want to be sure
Doctor:Yes, I'm sure it will be safe.
Doctor:Statistically, viral fevers are much more common and in general, they run higher than bacterial fevers but don't last as long.
User:Last time my kid got fever in september it ran for 5 days and doctor said it is viral
User:Is it quite common in these small kids to get fevers once in 2 to 3 months till they develop immunity
User:Especially I hear this in XXXXXXX
Doctor:Oh absolutely, children are pretty messy and transfer viruses easily. The immune system stabilizes around puberty
User:ohh ok
Doctor:Don;t worry, his immune system will be stronger every time they fight off such an infection
Doctor:if he seems to be getting throat infections on a regular basis, then you need to take him to an ENT doctor to have his tonsils evaluated.
User:Finally one last question, I will give him calpol now and in case temp does not go down in two hours, should I wait for 6 hours as paracetamol should be given after 6 hours only or per your suggestion giving meftal-p another dose later
User:No he does not get throat infections regularly. This is first time he got it. Early the fevers were with either running nose or cough
User:Probably second time
Doctor:I would wait in that case, i think 6 hours is a good enough buffer.
Doctor:Ok, good then, no need to worry about the tonsils.
User:ok great
User:Thanks for your suggestion. I will get back to you if I have more questions later.
Doctor:No problem.
Doctor:Take Care.
User:thank you.bye
Doctor:Thanks for visiting me here. Bye for now.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor