Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for fever in a child - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 13-Nov-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Child Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 106 Questions
Doctor:Please proceed with your query.
User:My son is having fever from yesterday early morning
User:he has been having temperature of 100+ most of the time
User:it just comes down for a while after giving calpol
User:then again it temperature rises
User:so, what can be done as next course of action
Doctor:I would like to few more things before suggesting you
Doctor:Along with fever does he have any other symptoms like vomiting, loose stools, body ache or body rashes?
Doctor:Are you there?
User:1 sec
User:he has vomitting symptoms
User:he did vomit early in the morning once
User:just to give another insight
User:he had banged gate on to this knee and developed an injury
User:both of these showed up simultaneously; however, orthopaedician suggested to treat both separately
Doctor:Is there any swelling or pus formation on the injured knee
User:1 sec
User:is there is swelling, it is recovering fine
User:he is able to walk now
User:it is getting better
Doctor:Any other symptoms other than fever with vomiting?
Doctor:Any history of having anything outside in the recent past?
User:shivering is seen
User:Nothing notable
User:presently he is also feeling soar throat
Doctor:Is the fever present through out the day or it increases in the night and relieves after sweating?
User:fever is continuous
User:during night once he got relieved of fever
Doctor:Thanks for the details.
Doctor:From the description provided by you, I feel that your son might be suffering with viral fever.
Doctor:As the temperature is high constantly through out the day.
Doctor:The basic treatment here would be complete bed rest with antipyretics like paracetamol
Doctor:You can continue giving him calpol three times a day after food.
User:but calpol doesn't bring the fever down; we tried flexon
User:whenever flexon was given, he was sweating
User:and temperature came down
Doctor:If you observe increase in frequency of vomiting you might need to give antiemetics like domstal o.
Doctor:Yes, I understand.
User:do you suggest calpol or flexon?
Doctor:As it is viral fever the temperature is constant and would not reduce completely.
Doctor:Calpol contains only paracetamol and flexon contains paracetamol with ibuprofen
User:ibuprofen, how does it help?
Doctor:Ibuprofen is an Analgesic and antipyretic that is it can reduce both fever and pain but it is not as safe as paracetamol and can lead to acidity problems
Doctor:I suggest calpol tablets along with cold sponge bath whenever the temperature raises above 100.
User:do you believe, I should visit doctor near by
User:everyone at home doesn't seem to be convinced with the treatment, I'm suggesting
User:inspite of telling them, I have consulted doctors at healthcare magic
Doctor:The fever should reduce within 4 to 5 days if its a viral fever but a doctor visit for examination would be good.
User:I will visit then.
User:Thank you for the suggestion!
User:it was helpful
Doctor:Sure. I believe that after examination the doctor would diagnose with viral fever and would treat him symptomatically as I have suggested.
User:Thank you
Doctor:Thanks for visiting me here. Bye for now.
Question is related to
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor