Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Suffering with Vertigo. Taking vertin. What can be done? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 28-May-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1542 Questions
User:hello Doctor
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:Doctor, my wife has been suffering with Vertigo for a year now and it gets aggrevated in summers.
User:I wanted to know who should I XXXXXXX an ENT specialist or a neurologist
Doctor:Vertigo is a condition associated with both ear and brain pathology.
Doctor:If we check 100 patients with vertigo, most patients have the cause in the ear.
User:but her hearing is fine
Doctor:If you could answer few of my question, I would be able to suggest you the right specialist.
Doctor:Can I proceed with my questions?
User:sure doctor
Doctor:Do the symptom occur intermittently or is it continuously present?
Doctor:May I know your wife's age?
User:but in regular intervals
Doctor:Does she have associated symptom such as nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, imbalance associated with vertigo?
Doctor:Does she have double vision, difficulty in speaking associated with the above symptoms?
User:only very heavy head nothing else.
Doctor:Is there any act/factor which precipitates vertigo?
User:yes, while climbing stairs, sudden turns while sleeping, after bending, sitting at the back seat of a car or while driving at speed.
User:especially after coming back from sun
Doctor:Does she suffer from any medical condition like diabetes, hypertension, etc?
User:No she does not.
Doctor:Is she on any medications?
User:vertin 25mg
Doctor:Let me brief you now
Doctor:Based on the history provided, she seems to be suffering from benign paroxysmal postural vertigo (BPPV)
Doctor:This condition is associated with some ear problem.
Doctor:This condition occur in spasms so it is very difficult to find any associated symptoms and test may not find any pathologies.
User:ok pls go ahead.
Doctor:Certain maneuvers done during a clinical examination can confirm this problem.
Doctor:These maneuvers done during physical examination are routinely done by an ENT surgeon while evaluation for vertigo.
User:So you suggest I get in touch with an ENT specialist
Doctor:Yes, the initial evaluation has to be done by ENT surgeon
User:ok doctor anything else that I should know.
User:is it curable?
Doctor:Since this condition occurs in paroxysms (once in a while suddenly)
Doctor:we think in terms of preventing these spasms.
Doctor:In this regards, medical drugs, vestibular exercises and some manoeuvers can prevent these paroxysms and help patients to have normal life.
Doctor:However no doctor can confirm that the condition is completely cured.
Doctor:Having said that, this condition is a benign (as the name suggests)
Doctor:meaning it would not cause any serious harm to the suffers.
Doctor:So do not worry.
Doctor:We should be able to control the symptoms.
Doctor:Have you followed what I suggested?
User:Yes doctor I have followed, it is just that whole day she feels dizzy, uncomfortable and tired so this is not a good feeling to have, due to which she has quit her job etc...
Doctor:I understand the problems.
Doctor:If BPPV is confirmed,
Doctor:we can try some manoeuvers and some exercise which will desensitize her
Doctor:and reduce/prevent the symptoms.
Doctor:An ENT surgeon would be able to help with these procedures and guide her about the exercises.
User:Sure thank you Doctor, I will fix an appointment with an ENT specialist tomorrow.
Doctor:Yes, the ENT surgeon will be able to treat her symptoms.
Doctor:Is there any other query?
User:No thank you very much doctor. You have been very helpful.
Doctor:You are welcome.
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor