Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Suffering from rheumatoid nodules or polyarteritis nodosa - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Arthritis
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User :   hello i'm 31 yr old female and last year i developed red spots on my thigh area during winter time that seem to only be red when there warm but turn purple when cold seems like there under the skin they don't itch or burn and now there back this year same time as last year.
Doctor :   Hi
User :   hello
Doctor :   let me read ur query
Doctor :   so do u have any pain with them ?
Doctor :   do they appear at the base of the hair follicles ?
User :   no pain but when i sit down for periods at a time i do have pain and stiffness in my thigh
User :   there on my upper thigh
User :   during the summer months i always develop a rash on my arms and shoulder area
Doctor :   do they appear at the base of the hair follicles ?
Doctor :   like do they appear when you wax ?
User :   like now there red but if i was to go outside where it's cold they turn purple
User :   no cause i don't shave or wax my upper thigh area
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   may i know the size of the nodules ?
User :   it started last winter and last year with it i developed a big patch that stayed purple
Doctor :   each of them ?
User :   different sized from a pin size to a dime size
Doctor :   have u done any blood tests like complete counts, ESR etc ?
User :   no i just recently got insurance
Doctor :   ok
User :   but there under the skin
Doctor :   do u have any joint pain, morning stiffness , etc
User :   always
User :   i feel like i'm older than i am
Doctor :   also, do u feel cold in the arms and limbs ?
User :   always fatigued
Doctor :   this could be due to rheumatoid nodules or poly arteritis nodosa
User :   my feet and hands are always cold
Doctor :   this seems due to PAN (polyarteritis nodosa)
Doctor :   this is a vascular condition causing all sorts of issues
User :   what exactly is that
User :   is this urgent i get it treated
Doctor :   It is not an emergency
Doctor :   it is a condition similar to rheumatoid arthritis
User :   ok what type of treatment is there
Doctor :   here due to imuune hyperactivity , blood vessel inflammation results in tissue damage
Doctor :   the treatment is with immunosuppressives
Doctor :   and pain medications
User :   and also me having a big patch last year that was purple it's all related with the spots
Doctor :   yes , it is
Doctor :   this condition is a recurrent condition and can be usually present cyclically, in specific seasons, mainly winters
Doctor :   You can consult a rheumatologist , who can do some blood tests as i mentioned earlier and then treat u accordingly
Doctor :   I hope i have answered your questions
User :   good thank you so much you've been a great help .... so my next step should see my family doctor right.. what tests will they do to diagnosis this?
Doctor :   Complete blood counts, ESR, CRP, and other tests based on the physical examination
Doctor :   in addition Rheumatoid factor, Xrays, serology to rule out other conditions may also be considered
Doctor :   Are u there ?
User :   yes
Doctor :   i hope i have answered your questions
Doctor :   Please leave your feedback if this service was helpful to you
User :   you've been of great help
Doctor :   take care and have a great day
Doctor :   bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor