Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Suffering from irregular periods. Reports show Bilateral Normal Size Polycistic Ovaries. Suggest - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 28-May-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Women's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1560 Questions
Doctor:How are you doing?
User:I wanted to discuss about two health issues of my wife
User:1. My wife is having a irregular MC cycle from last 1year
User:To diagnose this problem of irregular MC cycle, she took a sonography test & howmore test
User:sonography test stated that "Bilateral Normal Size Polycistic Ovaries are found"
User:what does this statement mean?
Doctor:It means that there are multiple cysts found in the ovaries
Doctor:The ovaries are the organs from where the ovum is normally produced in women
Doctor:A cyst is like a round structure which is usually lined by something like skin and may be empty or may have some fluid
Doctor:This condition often leads to irregular cycles
Doctor:In addition, many women are overweight. They also may have a lot of hair on the chin etc
Doctor:But the good part is that this condition is treatable
Doctor:How old is your wife?
User:she did not face this problem 1.5 year back, suddenly she started facing this problem.
User:i got married 2 years back
Doctor:Actually its possible that she had the problem. But she didnt have any complaints
Doctor:when the problem got severe, it would have led to symptoms
Doctor:As far as the treatment is concerned,
Doctor:\There are several things that can be done
Doctor:First thing, what is your wife's weight and height?
User:weight is 70kg and height must be 5.3
User:her stomach part has grown suddenly
Doctor:SO first thing is that she needs to lose weight
Doctor:This needs to be done with both exercise and dietary modification
Doctor:In addition, she would need a drug called metformin
Doctor:as far as exercise is concerned, I want her to exercise for 50 minutes daily
Doctor:Further, for dietary modification, she would need to eat 6-7 small meals in a day
Doctor:she needs to eat every 3-4 hours and have an early dinner
Doctor:We can make a customized diet plan for her
Doctor:Do you want my customer care team to call her for the same?
Doctor:They will call her in some time
Doctor:Can you confirm the number please
User:one more thing......the 2nd problem is.....the hormone test revealed that she is having thyroid
Doctor:One minute, XXXXXXX
Doctor:I am not done with the treatment of polycystic ovarian disease
Doctor:Second thing in this regard is that she might need oral contraceptive pills to regularize her cycles
Doctor:They will also help set the hormonal balance right
Doctor:It would take some time but her cycles will become regular
Doctor:Are you planning for a baby now?
User:yes...we were thinking to plan a baby from May 2012
Doctor:Then it is possible that she might need some drugs like clomiphene at that time to help with ovulation
Doctor:But at this time
Doctor:you need to take her to a gynaecologist so that proper treatment can be started at the earliest
Doctor:These are prescription drugs and I cannot prescribe them for you in this forum
Doctor:Thats about the PCOD
Doctor:As far as the hypothyroidism is concerned, this could be contributing to the irregular cycles
Doctor:This is usually treated with thyroxine supplements and would take some months to correct
User:what is the reason for polycystic ovaries?
Doctor:Nobody knows
User:i mean what are the probable causes
Doctor:We dont know why some women develop them
Doctor:part of ot is hereditary. but its not always true
Doctor:but obesity can increase the symptoms of PCOD and vice versa
User:the doctor that i am going to told that polycystic ovaries mean that the ovaries are now i am confused........u said that it means there are cyrst on ovaries
Doctor:She must have said it to make things simpler
User:ok......this is curable right?
Doctor:See this link and scroll down below
Doctor:If you see the diagram with the balloons
Doctor:The balloons are the cysts and they make the whole ovary bigger
Doctor:Yes, this is curable
Doctor:as I explained, we have treatment
Doctor:She'll have regular cycles and she can conceive then
User:and that curable
Doctor:yes very much so
Doctor:we talked about thyroxine supplements right?
Doctor:Thats the treatment
User:ok......what are the side effects of taking drugs for polycystic ovaries
Doctor:Nothing that you need to be worried about at present
Doctor:as far as metformin is concerned, side effects are not very common
Doctor:But we need to monitor liver and kidney function at 1-2 months
Doctor:as far as oral contraceptive pills are concerned, the newer drugs are quite safe
Doctor:There might be some nausea, vomiting or weight gain
Doctor:But it will go off in some time
Doctor:Its a temporary thing times it happens that Doctor are doing hit & trial with the other word......diagnosis is not done properly before recommending the drugs to patient.....
User:so.....i want to know whether i should be doing any other tests before starting any sort of medication
Doctor:LH:FSH ratio
Total testosterone
Prolactin levels
Doctor:These tests would be needed
Doctor:I'll take it one by one
Doctor:first, a LH:FSH ratio
Doctor:Second, total testosterone
Doctor:Third, DHEAS
Doctor:Fourth, SHBG
Doctor:Fifth, Prolactin
Doctor:And lastly, 2 hour glucose tolerance test
Doctor:These tests are also needed
Doctor:although I can tell you we need to start treatment with metformin and oral contraceptives
Doctor:The tests will help us assess how much she is responding to the treatment
User:ok......normally how much time frame this MC problem cured?
Doctor:Should take around 4-6 months atleast
Doctor:Provided we start the treatment right away
Doctor:Is there anything else I can help you with?
User:yes, can u suggest me a speacialist doctor in Mumbai
Doctor:Dr Firuza Parikh at Jaslok Hospital is good
Doctor:Dr Malpani is also good
Doctor:Both are in Mumbai
User:have you hear of Dr. XXXXXXX Agrawal
Doctor:I am sorry I dont belong to Mumbai
Doctor:These people that I have suggested are reputed doctors
Doctor:But i think its better to see a doctor you are comfortable with
Doctor:These are common problems and any gynaecologist should be able to deal with them
User:i am just worried about the side effects, maily because I dont have kids as yet
Doctor:You dont need to be worried
Doctor:They are safe drugs and a lot of women recieve these drugs and become ok
User:i dont want to get into a situation where we do the treatement and after 10 months Doctor states that you cant become parents any more
Doctor:If your wife doesnt take treatment, she would find it extremely difficult to have a child in the first place
Doctor:Thats not going to happen
Doctor:I can assure you that
User:ok, thanks a lot......that gives me confidence
User:the doctor to whom i had met, mentioned that there could be some sideeffects of taking the medicin for ovaries
Doctor:Dont worry
Doctor:you can take a second opinion as well
User:ok......thanks a lot
User:for your time
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me
Doctor:Is there anything else you want to discuss? last question
User:those 5 tests you suggested..
User:they are included in blood test?
Doctor:Yes. They are blood tests
Doctor:but I want you to speak with a gynaecologist before you get them done
User:ok.....thanks....i will consult a gynac
Doctor:Anything else?
Doctor:Have a nice day
Doctor:Take care
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor