Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Suffering from hearing loss that developed when contracted Thyroid. Suggest? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 17-Jul-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:Hello, My name is XXXXXXX My Mother who is aged about 55 yrs suffers from severe hearing loss in both her ears. This is a condition that she developed late in her teens (20-25 yrs) and it reportedly started when she contracted a severe case of Typhoid when she was at the age. Though she manages a completely normal life, I would like to explore the option of having this checked by an expert and if there is any option of a surgery/ treatment that can help her regain hearing with using specalized hearing aids, I would like to explore it. I have approached there hearing clinics which sell hearing aids but their testing and expertise is only to the extend of prescribing whether a device will help or not. I am trying to consult an expert who can assisit with this.
Doctor:Give me a minute to read your post.
Doctor:Hearing loss is of two types - conductive hearing loss and sensory hearing loss.
Doctor:Conductive hearing loss has better successful results than sensory hearing loss. Hence surgical treatment is more apt for conductive hearing loss.
Doctor:If your mother has sensory hearing loss, hearing aids can improve her condition depending on percentage of hearing loss.
Doctor:She needs to undergo a few tests such as audiometry which can record the type of hearing loss as well as the severity of hearing loss.
Doctor:The test can be performed by ENT surgeons.
User:okay Doctor, would you recommend any avenues i should start with first?
Doctor:You can visit a multidisciplinary hospital or a medical college.
Doctor:A medical college/university would be more better.
User:appreciate the suggestion Doctor, i'm based at Bangalore...would you recommened any in particular?
Doctor:The first step towards finding the treatment would be to understand the type and severity of hearing loss.
Doctor:Which part of Bangalore are you located?
User:South- JP Nagar
Doctor:St.John's Hospital would be good.
Doctor:Alternatives would be ENT doctors at Apollo or Fortis.
User:Alright, i will fix an appointment for the resident ENT at St.John's and start from there, will keep Apollo & Fortis as option 2...thank you for pointing me in the direction Doctor, can i refer back to you specifically once there are some reports to consider?
Doctor:This would be the third option, I would suggest.
Doctor:The last one is of XXXXX XXXXXXX
Doctor:He is one of the specialist registered with us.
Doctor:You may consult him and if needed take opinion online using our portal.
Doctor:Hope this helps you.
Doctor:Do you have any other question?
User:Thank you doctor, this helps...none at this point
Doctor:You are welcome.
Doctor:Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor:Bye for now.
Doctor:Are you there?
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor