Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Suffering from bilateral renal pelvis and under observation - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
User :   I am a 30 yr old female and have recently had both urinary and kidney infections. My u/s results show that I have mild prominent bilateral renal pelvis. My doctor wants to monitor this every 3 to 6 months to ensure that this does not progress into anything more. But I want to know more, what causes them to enlarge? Will they ever reduce back to normal size? What can happen if the urinary and kidney infections continue?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   let me read your query
Doctor :   ok
Doctor :   any urinary infection , can result in scarring of the urinary tract and this scarring can result in obstruction of the urinary tract
User :   Hi - can you please assist with my concern as stated above?
Doctor :   such obstructions include strictures in the urethra or the ureter
Doctor :   this sort of obstruction , blocks the flow of urine in the urinary tract
Doctor :   and the back flow and pressure , results in the dilation of the renal pelvis as seen in the ultrasound
Doctor :   this condition if not treated and the underlying conditions like stricture or vesicoureteral reflux is not corrected for a long time, this results in progressive loss of renal function
Doctor :   but if taken care off, and treated early, the condition does not progress and the kidney function stabilises and becomes normal
Doctor :   in case the renal and kidney infections continue, there will be progressive loss of renal function, resulting in Chronic renal disease and ultimately end stage renal disease
Doctor :   ESRD may require dialysis at regular intervals or a renal transplantation
Doctor :   I hope you have understood my comments so far
User :   Yes, now I know why my Doctor wants to smack me. I let it go 2 months before I saw her regarding my frequent need to pee.
Doctor :   since your doctor has found the dilated renal pelvis, i guess she wants to monitor your condition and make sure that it is not progressing
Doctor :   and so that she can take appropriate measures to prevent progression by treating any condition that might be causing it in the first place
User :   So bilateral means in both kidneys? causing more concern than it would just in one or the other?
Doctor :   yes bilateral means involvemrnt of both sides
Doctor :   yes if both sides are involved , it can progress more quickly
User :   Is there anything I can do physically to help reduce this from progressing?
Doctor :   if not already done, a cystoscopy or a urine flow studies can be done, to check if there is any block in the urinary tract
Doctor :   if such a block is there, that needs to be corrected
Doctor :   since both sides of the kidney are involved, it seems that , the level of block may be in the urinary bladder or the urethra
User :   On my u/s Doctor says my bladder is in good order. She has not mentioned a cystoscopy.
Doctor :   has she mentioned the grade of dilation and the severity
User :   Only "mild prominent".
Doctor :   in that case, just observation will be sufficient
Doctor :   thanks for consulting me here
Doctor :   bye for now
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor