Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Suffering from Chronic headaches - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Headache and Migraines
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2582 Questions
User :   For the past 2 months, I have been getting severe headaches. Due to the intense pain, dizziness, sensitivity to light, and nausea, I'm fairly certain they are migraines. I had been experiencing more stress than usual at work, so I thought that was the original cause. Since then, my workload has significantly eased up and I'm still getting these headaches. Today, while doing my hair, I ran my hands along my head and found two really hard lumps about the circumference of a dime on my left side, about 2 inches from my ear (they align to the top of it). I am quite certain they have never been there before, as I feel that they are prominent enough that I would have noticed! Should I worry that this has any association with the headaches I've been receiving? Should I make an appointment with my doctor?
Doctor :   Hi
User :   Hi!
Doctor :   May I know your age and gender?
User :   Sure. I am 24 years old and female.
Doctor :   Can you describe the headaches - is it located more specifically at the region of these bumps?
User :   It's most painful actually above my eyes and in the back of my neck, though I feel pain all over, so it's hard to pinpoint.
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you have history of nasal congestion, sorethroat with the headaches?
User :   No, I do not.
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Do you wear spectacles?
Doctor :   * I mean do you have history of refractory errors?
User :   I don't. I do have a pair, as I have some difficulty seeing far distances, but I am not required to wear them to drive or find that I need them during my day.
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Let me explain to you.
Doctor :   If the bumps that you noticed aren't tender to touch,
Doctor :   then these bumps are not associated with the headaces.
Doctor :   The headaches are probably related to chronic headaches,
Doctor :   which have probably aggravated due to the recent increase in stress or may be a change in the refractory error.
Doctor :   Hence you need not worry with regards to the bumps.
User :   Okay. Do you think it would be advisable to make an appointment with my doctor to obtain medication for these headaches? Should I wait to see if they will go away...if they are stress-related?
User :   Or even have my vision re-evaluated?
Doctor :   Proper stress management - destressing measures, good sleep, regular meals are necessary.
Doctor :   You can try OTC pain killers such as 1gm paracetamol - 2 tablets of tylenol or ibuprofen tablets when ever your headaches is severe.
Doctor :   And modify your lfestyle as mentioned before.
Doctor :   They should help you control the headaches.
Doctor :   If the headaches persist inspite of these measures or if the headaches are too frequent,
Doctor :   then you will need to re evaluate refractory error or consult a neurologist an obtain prescription medications to control the headaches.
Doctor :   Have you followed what I have suggested?
User :   Yes! Thank you.
Doctor :   Do you have any other query?
User :   No, I don't at this time. I will give myself a few weeks of following what you suggested and see if the headaches disappear.
User :   Thank you for your help!
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me.
Doctor :   Bye for now.
User :   Good night!
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor